The two motors are connected with an EZ steer rod but the main motor is power assist so in order to steer the kicker motor I have to keep the main motor running

Only options for kicker AP that I know of are Garmin. The TR-1 Gold which is now discontinued (but you can still find them) and the Compact Reactor 40 which is the replacement for the TR-1. Compatible kicker options are limited on the new CR-40 system so it depends on what year your kicker is.

The kicker is a 2015 I’m thinking Garmin Reactor 40 for the kicker.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

2 hours ago, tim said:

The kicker is a 2015 I’m thinking Garmin Reactor 40 for the kicker.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

That would be my choice as well, no hydraulic lines or pumps to deal with. Just make sure you get the Reactor 40 system specifically designed for use with a kicker motor. Depending on your electronics setup you can skip the GHC display, save $300 and connect it to your sonar via NMEA 2000 network.

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/672710/pn/010-00705-95

Edited by FishingFool34

No I have generation one HDS and the other one is Older than that both Lowrance units . I would either need the display or buy a compatible sonar. Plus I will sell my I troll since I wouldn’t need that.

• 3 months later...

I can only speak for lowrance version of AP they have a reasonable option that works well i have the retrofit cable version installed in my 89 PennYan however they also make a hydraulic version  both version under $1500 and easy to install yourself. I used mine last year in the Bay marking schools and when i had a bunch of wave points I would create a route and use the AP to troll back and forth over the wavepoints. Worked great. I spend off the water time on Navionics website creating navigation routes then save them to my account. When i get to my boat i link my phone to the HDS unit and download the routes i created. When i launch at the Sandy Hook Marina i set the navigation to take me out past the point . as long as it is not busy it works very well, However you still have to watch for traffic. 

• Like 1