A BIG Thank You to the Biologists and Staff at the Salmon River Fish Hatchery

A big shout out and thank you to the Salmon River Fish Hatchery Biologists and staff for the job that they do.  After literally going every year and standing above the arena since the late 80's I was finally able to partake in what goes on down below.  The perspective definitely changes when on the floor and many of the misconceptions that I did not realize I had have been cleared up BIG TIME.  It is a whirlwind once the fish start coming and does not stop until the last one is spawned, research samples are collected and tallied, and everything is scrubbed down.  There is a nice energetic and passionate group of young biologists and technicians who will make sure the hatchery fish continue to be of the highest quality.  They all spoke with passion about what they were doing, studies they were taking part in, and fishing adventures they have had recently with the trout and salmon on the lake and in the Salmon and Oswego Rivers. 

One of the biggest misconceptions that I had as well as many of you reading this may have as well was that only the small males were being spawned.  Not intentionally by any means!!!!  From up high I could pick out the bigger ones that may have been overlooked or sent down a shoot or dumpstered without spawning.  When at the sorting table it is fast paced and the fish in front of you is the one that goes into the tub to be spawned.  Once there is a sufficient number in the tub the rest are discarded - big and small.  We did some really nice males and a couple not so big males with most reflecting the average size coming up to the hatchery.  What happens below the hatchery in terms of selecting out the biggest is outside of the hatchery's control and has been going on since the inception of the fishery.

This was something that I had dreamed of doing and can't thank Tom enough for the opportunity.  Unfortunately I was not able to put the eggs up due to cross country practice, but hopefully another time.  My girls walked away with a whole new level of appreciation as well and Lizzy got a full blown milt mustache courtesy of a big chinook who was more than ready to go - if only I had a camera to take that picture to bring out when a new boy comes courting or for those special moments.  Morgan who some of you know, said that if she wasn't going to be a physician assistant she would definitely be heading into fisheries biology -not only because of the fisheries, but the people who were on the floor with her.

Thank you again for a Lake Ontario fishaholic's experience of a lifetime.

• Like 4

Wouldn't it be great if the Salmon River was closed down for Salmon season so the biggest and best genetics made it to the hatchery? If you've seen the Sh**show on that river you'd know the hatchery gets "whatever makes it." The hatchery does a great job with what they have to work with. 

• Like 4

Yessir..... The DEC did say that the lake was managed for salmon. Protect the school for natural reproduction and stocking efforts. What is right is right...

Wouldn't it be great if the Salmon River was closed down for Salmon season so the biggest and best genetics made it to the hatchery? If you've seen the Sh**show on that river you'd know the hatchery gets "whatever makes it." The hatchery does a great job with what they have to work with. 

Sent from my VS996 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Missdemeanor said:

Yessir..... The DEC did say that the lake was managed for salmon. Protect the school for natural reproduction and stocking efforts. What is right is right...

So I can't help but ask the question.  If they did adjust regs to lean toward protecting / improving the salmon return to the hatchery (since the DEC says salmon should be managed for the lake), would the lake community be more accepting of increased regs on steelhead which the DEC has said should be managed for the tributaries?   I've fished both sides for years and lean lake currently.  In seeing the other post about proposed steelhead restrictions and negative feel there I'm curious if we all would be more willing to give on the one to get the other.  While it probably wouldn't happen.  I do agree with the DEC approach.  (salmon lake/ steelhead tribs).  

Lake guys have been getting restrictions tossed down our throats for years... Steelhead regs, regs on the number of silvers we can catch, stocking cuts, closure of hatcheries... So now we are supposed to sit back and allow a small group of loud people with deep pockets dictate how I run my business or enjoy my free time? Heck.. It was Lake guys's sweat and spare time that put those fish in the lake...
Stream guys want to regulate the stream...cool... Have at it....
If the DEC continues to cut stocking numbers of kings, then somthing must be done to protect any natural and the brood stock of kings...again..whats right is right...

So I can't help but ask the question.  If they did adjust regs to lean toward protecting / improving the salmon return to the hatchery (since the DEC says salmon should be managed for the lake), would the lake community be more accepting of increased regs on steelhead which the DEC has said should be managed for the tributaries?   I've fished both sides for years and lean lake currently.  In seeing the other post about proposed steelhead restrictions and negative feel there I'm curious if we all would be more willing to give on the one to get the other.  While it probably wouldn't happen.  I do agree with the DEC approach.  (salmon lake/ steelhead tribs).  

12 hours ago, Fat Trout said:

I feel the lake guys just keep getting the short end of the stick. The DEC is the one who told us the Chinook is managed for the lake and the Steelhead are managed for the tribs. If that's the case we should protect our fish, and make sure the best of the best get into that hatchery. Here would be some of the benefits of closing down the tribs from Aug 31 to Oct 31 would:

• Get the best fish/genetics to the hatchery
  • Make sure the hatchery gets it's eggs on low water years
  • Alleviate the need for DEC assets to be present, and take less phone calls
  • Put more food in the tribs for the trout coming in behind
  • Keep more trout in the river for the trout guys
    • This really is what would give the trib guys what they want with this new regulation. They want bigger Trout. Well, when the goon squad is up during Salmon season the biggest and best trout are taken out of the river.
  • Get rid of the disgusting crowd that lacks ethics
  • Create less stress on the Chinooks so the ones who do spawn have a better product
  • Let some of the BT spawn so they aren't ripped out of the fishery for the sole purpose of taking their eggs
Edited by Yankee Troller
  • Like 4

This thread has gone from a heartfelt appreciative "thank you" and a description of a great experience for a fisherman and his children, to a "lake guys" vs. "trib guys" instigation........... nice.

Good reality check! Thank you to that bunch of people out there that make our fisheries what it is for us!

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Thankfully there is a ton of natural reproduction taking place on the eastern north shore tribs.  And I'm all for a 2 fish limit on rainbows in the lake because it gets raped on the north shore by out of province anglers.

The upper sections of the north shore tribs close for fishing on Sept 30 so it is only open for essentially a few miles at best.  The upper reaches are the best waters for spawning and that is what has helped out the fishery for many years.

And egg shortfalls on either side of the lake were always supported by the other side when limits were not attained or if there were elevated temps compromising eye-up.

Edited by hairybumcrack
because