Multi species boat

reel escape

Okay what type of boat to buy for different types of fishing? I've been looking at newer 19' -21' size in aluminum but the cost of metal has gotten out of control. I would like to do more of the Niagara river fishing in the winter months, that's why I was thinking alum. I will be fishing for salmon and trout of coarse around here to the Niagara and up in the thousand islands during the summer months pike, bass, walleye. Open boat or Bimini with an enclosure, OB or IB, fiberglass or aluminum. You get the idea let me know what your opinions are. Thanks

Reel, I loved my 18ft Lund Fisherman for just the type of fishing you do. I fished the lake & St Lawrence spring summer & fall. Fished the Salmon river estuary in the fall, used it in the bays and the ocean In NJ. Had it down in the Florida Keys, the Atlantic side and the Gulf side, fished shad with it in the Delaware river, had it in the Chesapeke Bay, took it up to a couple lakes in Canada. What a great all around boat Lund makes!

I just sold it and went to two boats cause 18 ft. Alum. is a bit small for fishing lake O every week, but I miss it already!

Good luck in your search.

Rod

I don't know about that? Mine was a 97. If I ever bought another Lund I'll buy a good used one. New is out of my price range anymore. I priced a new Fisherman last year with a 130 Honda and the dealer quoted me 31K. They sure hold their value though. Resale value is an important factor when choosing a boat, I think. I sold mine on ebay and had all kinds of bids.

If you look for one, make sure it has the stand up top and curtains.

Hey Mike, I don't know if your married or not, but getting the better half to see things my way was just as hard as coming up with the cash for the boat. I finally explained to her how a Lund holds it's value, so she might need to look at the purchase a little differently. We were not "really" buying the boat, but rather we were sorta putting down a deposit for it's value and "borrowing" it for several years. When we wanted to move on to another boat, we'd sell it and get our money back.

It was just a crock to get what I wanted with a little truth thrown in for flavor, but low and behold I took good care of the boat and 4 years later I sold it for 3 grand more than I paid.

Just an opinion, but good luck regardless of what you choose!

Rod

Thanks guys, yes fishtails I am married but the wife lets me pretty much do anything I want, bought a cottage last year up in the thousand islands and told her about it when I got home. Mikejonestkd I've looked at the starcraft islanders but really don't like the motor cover inside. I had a 88 trophy with the dog house and managed but then I had a 260 baha crusier with twin screws and a wide open back so I got spoiled. That's why I'm leaning towards the OB motor.

Hey Mike, where is your cottage in the Islands? We have a summer camp in chippewa bay in the Thousand Islands. Been there since 2000. I'm up there a lot during the summer....wife and kids the whole summer. This year I'll be fishing the lake more than the river (I hope).

Rod

Rod,It's in Cape Vincent across from the north end of Carlton Island. It's usually just the wife and me but at any given weekend we have 5 kids that may want to go up. There in the late teens and early twenties so mom and dad typically aren't on this list of things to do, except for the holidays. Just getting my feet wet on the fishing up there. If you want to hook up sometime and go out let me know, I've talked to different people on this site and have told them the same. That's what's so great about this site, meeting people from all over the place.

Mike.. Another vote here for the Lund. I've been running a Fisherman/Honda trouble free for 8 years on both Erie and Ontario. They don't make the Fisherman anymore, and it's tough to get anything but a Merc. on the back of a new Lund.. but if you're looking at used, they're around. Actually, you should check with Martin's (on Mud Bay).. they had a used 20' Fisherman with a big Honda on it last fall, and they're good people to deal with! Good Fishing, Sluggo (Chris)

You should consider a used Crestliner, welded aluminum. I ran a Lund Tyee for 18 years and had good luck, laid it up when I picked up a used Crestliner. Crestliner makes a good boat also. There was an 18'er for sale last month for $3800, a lot less than $30,000 for a new one. The Lund is gone to a friend now. If the lake is too rough for an 18 footer, it's too rough and you'll save a lot of fuel and it's easy to tow anywhere.

I have a 2003 Lund 1800 fisherman.when did they stop making them does any one know?The only reason I bought a Lund is because of the resale value.I Paid over $25K for mine 3 years ago That is with just the basics stuff.Put another 5 to 7 grand just in trolling stuff(MY wife calls it the BLACK HOLE :lol: ).And I just priced one that was close to it but not a fisherman for over $31K.That is stripped down with just the basics also.It's just blows me away the cost of every thing these days.BUT HEAH We need to FISH ;) Right?

Thanks guys, I agree that a lund would be the boat to have. I'll just keep looking. As far as the honda I agree 100%, I have a 130HP my boat now and it's a sweet motor.The cost of new ones is crazy, I've consider buying a new one but just can't right the check, I know the resale is a good reason but I'm sure I can find one for half the price of a new one with more web surfing. I'll just have to be patient and that's killing me.

Guest ReelDiel

erby this year they put the tyee and fisherman models together..they were competeing with one another. Brunswick bought Lund so its a merc unless you want to fork over some extra dough. The hulls and such are the same as they have been. Actualy i think there lower class models picked up the ips hull and the top end have an ips 2. Your in the ball park for the kind of boat you want for theat type of fishing 18-20 open bow aluminium. Here are what I would say are the best in order IMO of course

1. LUND / ALUMACRAFT

(top quality on both..aluma u can still pick your engine i think they are american made also)

2. CRESTLINER

(dont let he welded hull thing scare ya they been doing it for years and they have it down.)

3. STARCRAFT

(great boat for the money and right there with the others)

4. Tracker TUNDRA (only)

(the tundra is the best riding bar none of all aluminium boats..there cust service can be shaky)

I rate thes this way cause these are the boats pro walleye guys use and fish most closely to how you and i fish. A couple others are POLARKRAFT and G3 although they are realitvly new to the tournament circuit. These pros put these boats thru the ringer and the factory makes adjustments to fix problems. Most of us here will never abuse a boat in 10yrs like these guys do in a year. Most importantly if you buy from a dealer check there cust. service cuz thats what usally matters most!!!