Ritchie in Dash Compass

dctaz37

I bought a 2006 starcraft boat about 5 years ago and it has an in-dash Ritchie compass. It never worked properly so I finally decided to replace it. I ordered the same one from Amazon and went to install it today. The problem is that in the dash it is off by 50 degrees. I'm not sure what to do because it is in the factory spot.

Edited by dctaz37
spelling

I bought a 2006 starcraft boat about 5 years ago and it has an in-dash Ritchie compass. It never worked properly so I finally decided to replace it. I ordered the same one from Amazon and went to install it today. The problem is that in the dash it is off by 50 degrees. I'm not sure what to do because it is in the factory spot.

There must be interference from electronics or the magnets on speakers. Ritchie compasses can be adjusted. There are two screws on the base. You can google the instructions

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Thanks, I reached out to them regarding the original one. I'm guessing there probably wasn't anything wrong with it as the new one is way off too. Unfortunately I had to cut the old one out because the threads were damaged.
I sent support an email already, I assume I'll get a response tomorrow.
The new one was shipped from amazon in a box with no padding which surprised me.

i've got items i've bought off ebay in amazon boxes. as long as there authorized they can sell from anywhere.

I still say steel screws or a steel brace or something steel is to close to the compass. is there a depthfinder mount close to the compass that could have been mounted with steel instead of stainless steel screws? make sure the screws used to mount the compass isn't steel. take a magnet and check them. take the magnet and feel around the compass mounting area for steel. only ss, aluminum, brass, should be used around a compass. if ss is used take a magnet and check to make sure its a good ss.

• Like 1

I don't think anything has changed. The old compass didn't work properly either but I'm not sure if it did originally when I purchased the boat 5 or so years ago. There are a lot of wires above the dash and I believe there is metal on the bracket that holds the steering wheel. I'm waiting to hear from Ritchie.

I kind of wanted to fill the hole in the dash with something that works. A compass that doesn't tell you the correct direction is useless and a waste of $70. I may have to plug the hole and buy a regular compass that you can adjust. Any suggestions? I don't have many places I can mount it though.

What about asking Ritchie about how the compass can be shielded from electrical and/or magnetic interference as it may autocorrect when the problem is gone?