Mag 15 trouble?

rolmops

A few years ago, I purchased a set of Mag 15 downriggers on e-bay which according to the seller had been refurbished. I have been using them ever since,but there is this strange thing that happens to both the riggers. When I try to adjust depth by raising the rigger a few feet, They just keep on coming up and the only way to stop this is by switching to down again. There does not seem to be any way to stop the rigger from going up except by switching it to going down and then stopping it. Is this the case with all mag 15s or do I have a circuit board problem?

Thank you for any help or advice you can offer.

Cornelis

You may wish to call Fish307 at Lake George and ask them the question. They are very accommodating.

FISH307.com
6 State Route 149
Lake George, NY 12845 USA
Tel: 1-800-FISH307 or 518-798-9203

3 hours ago, rolmops said:

A few years ago, I purchased a set of Mag 15 downriggers on e-bay which according to the seller had been refurbished. I have been using them ever since,but there is this strange thing that happens to both the riggers. When I try to adjust depth by raising the rigger a few feet, They just keep on coming up and the only way to stop this is by switching to down again. There does not seem to be any way to stop the rigger from going up except by switching it to going down and then stopping it. Is this the case with all mag 15s or do I have a circuit board problem?

Thank you for any help or advice you can offer.

Cornelis

Pretty sure what you're describing is exactly the same thing my Mag 5HS riggers do. I always assumed it was normal? You hit up on switch and it starts raising them, then you hit down to stop them otherwise it keeps reeling up. If you have auto-stop on your riggers I don't see how this is avoidable. Once you hit up on the switch it activates the auto-up/auto-stop feature which keeps reeling in until the circuit is broken at the surface. 

You may wish to call Fish307 at Lake George and ask them the question. They are very accommodating.
FISH307.com
6 State Route 149
Lake George, NY 12845 USA
Tel: 1-800-FISH307 or 518-798-9203

Thank you. I called them and they told me how to fix the problem. They will have my business from now on.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Glad it worked out Cornelis:yes:. They are real good folks to deal with. I've had numerous contacts with them over the years and always positive:smile:

The guy at Fish307 told me that the motor on the mag 15 is very powerful and very often if you try to stop it by pushing down on the button for just a split second you will not have stopped the momentum and the motor will come right back on the moment you release the button and it will continue going up. His advice is to hold the the button down for the time that it will take you to say "one two" fairly quick (half a second?). that should stop the motor without starting it downward again. He also told me not to use a dedicated battery because a closed circuit away from the boat engine /ground will neutralize the positive ion stop.

Honestly, I've never used a cannon where I didn't have to hold the button in the down position for a short period of time to halt the upward momentum. I thought that was how they were designed. Mag10a, new Mag 5's, Mag 10HS, Marlins...all the same procedure.

Sent from my moto z3 using Lake Ontario United mobile app