#50 Jet diver

This past summer I caught 2 steels while using a Jet diver & an SS tranny off a walleye board. I have not heard any talk of Jets on this website or from locals when visiting the Oak. The #50 Jet will reach depths of 48-52 feet. Anyone ever give them a try?

I think most of us run wire dipseys or copper to get deep I don't know if any one runs them. At one time I use to see something about a pink lady which I think is a diver but for the most part I think using dipseys on wire line are the main diver used. But that's just me I could be wrong :P

Used to use them a lot off the boards. Sometimes they work great and other times not so good. If the fishing is tough and the fish are fairly high (upper 30ft), I will give them a shot. They have caught a lot of fish over the years.

I kind of expected that to be the case. They are popular on Erie when the reef runners are dead off the boards. I havent decided yet If I am going to invest in copper or lead core for basically one week of fishing a year- If I dont pick up copper or lead I suppose the Jet could come in handy when the fish are a little higher.

Thanks guys, the info is much appreciated. :yes::yes:

They come in handy whent the fish are up high like everyone has said prime example is when the lake flips. They are far enough back from the boat to not spook them usually 100 ft or so to achieve their depths. I run the jet 10s-20s-30s. I have never messed around with the 50 for that I would just run wire divers.

They have helped in taking some big kings when the fish are up high for sure.

Raider, do you happen to know of the boat that goes by the name of Nightcrawler? They walleye fish in Erie out towards your way in Ohio. It is a green Monarch open bow. I have known them now for a while and they also fish out of the Oak at times. Just curious if you have run into them.

Jax- I actually do not own a #50 diver; I have never seen one in stores, would have to order it online. I do own many 20, 30, and 40 sizes though. I checked your website out, very nicely put together! :yes:

Chowder- Last year a guy who owns his own tackle shop right outside of Cleveland (http://www.erieoutfitters.com) lent us his wire dipsey set-up. He actually has his own Stinger Spoon pattern (Craigs Christmas, Craigs Christmas reverse) To be honest didnt pull one fish while using it- All of our fish that came from divers came off #30 mono on a 1 setting with the 42 combo or green crush spindoc with Siggs bluegreen and green hypnotists. We are going to give wire another try though this year.

Chinook- I have heard the boat name Night Crawler mentioned before over the radio, but I have never met him. There is a boat named Prowler that fishes the Oak every year and stays at North of the Ridge; I met him while staying at the campground this past year. Prowler's home port is Vermillion, OH. He is the only guy I have met that fishes the same waters around my home port and the Oak outside of my family.

I have never used the jet diver, but have used the the stinger dive bomb. We have used them by themselves and have also attached them to lead core and copper to obtain deeper depths. The 3 0z on a 400' copper will get you around 100 ft, so thats 200' less copper to reel in, or maybe its just because I dont have a 600' setup yet.

Jeff

Dick,

We have done it at both ends, on the backer or right at the knot on the leader. At the leader works most days, but some works better at the backer. If the fish aren't hitting with it at the leader, try the backer. You will need to let it out 100' or so to get to the depth when on the backer.

Jeff

• 2 months later...

I use the #50 & #40 for salmon the #30 & #20 for steel and love them! I pull spoons & meat rigs (no flasher) with them. I have often wondered why more salmon guys don't run them? I put them back 100-140 ft. usually off big boards sometimes one down the shoot with a snap weight for even more depth. I have copper & lead but in heavy traffic 100-140 is much better than 300-400 ft. of stuff behind the boat. Obvioulsly if the fish are spooky the lead & copper are the way to go. The #50 can be a brute to wind in, I use a Penn 209 linecounter which has a 3.2 : 1 ration. I just winch it in.

aV1h45r.jpg

The big problem with jet are they can tangle other set-ups. That said, I have run the 50' off the out riggers with some success, I attach them to power pro about 50' infront of the lure. Like I said you have to be careful not to catch high riggers (long leads) and dipsys when putting them out.

CC