Throttle Controller for Kicker

Reel Doc

There's a few different options depending on your budget and list of features you want/need. iTroll, Trollmaster and ControllKing. Personally I have only used the control king and haven't had any major issues. The one time I had to call them because my servo motor went bad they gave me the part number and said I could order it through them or pick up one and my nearest radio shack and gave me the p/n to find it at radio shack. The man I spoke to was the owner of the company and extremely helpful.

Control King being the most basic, with a simple wired dial to control speed.
Trollmaster is mid range, with a wireless option and a few more bells and whistles.
iTroll is top of the line with multiple different pre-programmed modes and tons of options. 

itroll.vs.competition.chart2.jpg

Edited by FishingFool34

FishingFool34,

Thanks for the very informative reply.  I see the ControlKing has different models for the different brands/ages of motors while the Trollmaster does not.  Any reason to think one might perform better than the other on certain kickers?

Reel Doc suggest you use search feature to look up previous posts on this topic.  Has been discussed pretty extensively.  All three have been around for a while and have their pros and cons.  I have a Trollmaster 2 which in ten seasons I have just replaced one part.  Had some issues with it not being waterproof which some silicone and electrical tape fixed.  Trollmaster has kits for different motors so they don’t vary models just using specific mounting kit for the motor being used. I Troll is newest of three as to design and does offer some nice features.  Check the past posts.

• Thanks 1

I as well use the controlking. Very basic but does the job perfectly. 3 seasons and no issues. I was very intrigued by the itroll, but decided to keep things basic. The controlking is mounted on the right side of the console by where I rest my arm and the kicker is tied in with the main by an ez steer rod. I can rest my right arm on the armrest and reach the controlking and steering wheel. It's a great setup.

• Thanks 1

On 11/5/2019 at 10:13 PM, Reel Doc said:

FishingFool34,

Thanks for the very informative reply.  I see the ControlKing has different models for the different brands/ages of motors while the Trollmaster does not.  Any reason to think one might perform better than the other on certain kickers?

Nope, they both control the throttle the exact same way, a small servo motor with a linkage to the throttle. The differences between the two units are the remotes and couple extra features of the trollmaster. Either unit will have a model to work on just about any kicker, the only thing that changes is the mounting bracket and linkage rod. 

Edited by FishingFool34
  • Thanks 1

I am curious about if for a kicker with a pull start and tiller control if you have to disconnect the tiller throttle control when you install the remote throttle system. Will the tiller throttle control present too much resistance against the servo?

And can you still control the motor speed with the tiller throttle (when you are starting the motor, when you are in the back of the boat or if you want to change the speed and maybe switch to neutral while retrieving lines or fighting a fish)? I am wondering if you have to have the wireless option so it is not a PIA to do these things.

The tiller handle still works, atleast in my experience. My motor still has the tiller handle hooked up and the servo turns just fine. The tiller handle is still fully functional. That being said, I never touch the tiller handle. I love the controlking but it is wired. I put the motor in neutral, start it, and then once I put it in gear to set my lines I run everything off the controlking. For me it's not a big deal that it's at the front of the boat. If its choppy and I'm fishing solo I have to tend to the steering wheel while setting lines anyway. I usually set my speed to slow with the controlking, set my lines, then go sit and increase my speed to the desired speed and steer. It would be slick if it was wireless and had a remote, but it's really not bad being wired. When a fish hits, I turn the dial speed down to as slow as it goes on the controlking to slow down, land the fish, set the line, then go back upfront and increase the speed. Then if I'm fighting the fish and need to put the boat in neutral its already throttled all the way down. Sorry for the long response, it's hard to explain

With my Trollmaster (wired version) the tiller throttle is connected and starts/operates normally.  The Trollmaster linkage is a loop  so it doesn’t restrict the stock linkage if it is used. If you are using the throttle control and have the kicker above idle then you could increase speed with tiller however you could not take it back down to idle as the Trollmaster has the linkage pulled up and advanced. The model I have has an idle button which drops kicker back to idle and will also go back to your last setting if pushed again.  I have my control on one of my riggers so I can adjust speed or drop it to idle from back of boat to fight or net fish.