Trolling motor question

Here's the formula-

"Boat weight is the most important consideration to take into account when choosing a trolling motor. A beginning rule of thumb is that you want a minimum of 2 lbs of thrust for every 100lbs. For example, if you have a 3000lb boat, fully loaded, then the calculation is (3000/100) * 2 = 60lbs of thrust. When calculating boat weight, make sure you calculate the heaviest potential weight which includes a boat fully loaded with gear, fuel and the maximum number of passengers".  

I suppose it depends on what you are doing... If you are in heavy seas with the  40 mph wind blowing you away from your launch area  you are in trouble..
  The electric troller  is better than nothing but not much.. Calm water it will be ok, until the batteries go dead.. 

I only have a 17 footer but I feel very secure with a little   4 HP 2 stroke
or even  my 2 hp  2 stroke..

thats how I would go, and they are really cheap in the off season $225-275  will get you a decent  used 2-3-4 HP gas 2 stroke that would be way better than the electric.. You might only make 1-2 knots in the wind, but it will push you against a strong wind... The electric?.. Not so sure, even thoughyou are well within the weight guidelines..

Electrics are for changing  position in small areas  while fishing, and holding position against the wind in a boat that size... The excel at that.. They aren't really meant to push a heavy boat with a dead main engine  5 miles back to the ramp in heavy wind.. The  small gas motor  will do it quite slowly,  but it will   do it... Ask me how I know!.... bob

I have an 18'er. I have both electric and a gas kicker. My Minn Kota acts more as a auto pilot and push the boat with the gas. Last winter I got a early 2000's 8hp 4 stroke for about $800. U should see some kicker on craigslist throughout the winter. The gas kicker is a nice insurance policy if God forbid anything happens to the main motor. Oh my minn kota is a Tereova 80# thrust

Sent from my SM-G892A using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I just started trolling this year so not sure how valuable my input is, but I agree with the others and put a kicker on. If space is tight then you might need a kicker mounting bracket or something to put it on if there isn't room on your transom.

I have a 16' aluminum StarCraft that weighs maybe 1000 lbs and it has a 45lb thrust trolling motor on it (Minn Kota edge). It will move my boat at about 3mph in calm conditions, but not sure I would use that for trolling. Works good for bass and such, but battery, speed control and steering would be my concerns. Although depending on your trolling motor and chargers on board those all might be negligible.

I opted for a kicker cause I liked the idea of a backup if needed and I tied the steering to my main motor. Ended up finding a little 4hp four stroke on Craigslist that works great, but I had space on my transom for it. 20190815_101441.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

19 hours ago, Scotter96 said:

Thx guys that’s probably what I’ll do . I’m thinking a smaller 2 stroke with a steering hook up like mikes . Thx

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

The newer 4-strokes compare favorably to 2-strokes for weight.  The 9.9 Merc Pro Kicker  (or Nissan or Yammy or Suzuki or ...) connected via a bar link coupled with an ITroll for precision speed control is awesome combination.    

I second the four stroke comment. I have an 8hp tohatsu 4 stroke for a kicker, tied to the main with an ez steer rod. Then a controlking for throttle control upfront. Great combination.

The four stroke 8 hp sips gas and is really quiet. It just purrs along. It also has electric start, and always fires right up. The other bonus I like with having an 8 horse is that if my main (60hp) does start and I'm way out, itll push my boat at a decent speed. I like it as a backup.