Why will the Perch on Seneca not bite???

They might be keying on an abundant  food source in the lake and not much interested in any other  offerings.. next time out, bring along some plain old earthworms.. Everyone uses minnows or small plastic jigs for them these days, but nothing beats plain old worms for perch, shallow or deep.. Worms have saved a lot of trips for me when everything else failed. If using jigs try a little piece of worm on it.. bob

Edited by bulletbob
  • Like 1

You never know with them. I don’t think it would of been today as it was a south wind. I have seen when it’s glass they will have a lock jaw. Stay far away, light flourocarbon, and small offerings. What ever you do don’t anchor near them or run outboard. Then are days that no matter what you do, you can’t get them to bite.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

• Like 1

land locked - You suspicion may be correct about the shrimp Sometimes when you do get one to hit they puke up masses of them but there are also many different factors involved these days especially on Seneca. They can be feeding on everything from minnows to zebra mussels for one thing and they can be very fussy feeders even from the standpoint of location on your line of the right bait. There are times when they want  it dragged along the bottom and other when only if presented a couple feet suspended even using the same bait. Sometimes they want the bait moving slightly and others they want it kept perfectly still. You have to experiment with a variety of presentations as well as baits. The toughest part is staying with the school without spooking them as Frogger mentioned. Lately the spots where they locate have changed greatly and rather than fishing them in the clear shallower water it can be more productive fishing them deep where they are spotted (e.g. 40-60 ft or so) regardless of the bait used. One important thing comes to mind immediately too and that is that the grass patterns and types of grass in the lake have changed radically so rather than their former practice of hiding in the weeds (that are in large part no longer available to them) and popping out tho grab bait they have become much more wary in the more open water condition and more easily spooked so they don't bite. Perch can be paradoxical just when you think you have them figured out they change it up on ya:lol:

• Like 1