New Pup’s First Birds

In July I finally caved into the Mrs. wanting a dog and settled that it had to be something I can hunt. By chance, a buddy had a litter of Brittanys and we fell in love with one (how can you not love a puppy). Dudley, aka dudders the pup, is now 6 months old and so smart and well behaved (for the most part). I have been working as much as I can to get him trained in hunting but more focused on manners and obedience. The last couple weeks I have been taking advantage of some nearby stocked pheasants and having a blast. It’s fun to see him learn each time out. He has yet to point a live bird but he is definitely figuring out how to find them. He even tracked/recovered a downed bird that we would have not found without a dog! Excited to get him some more training and see how next season goes! imageproxy.php?img=&key=b88dfaa7bb580e43

198FD977-3F41-4437-A510-FDCF8D8EC72B.jpeg

4E460AB5-6240-4839-BB5C-1F6861E0A52C.jpeg

A733BEF5-386B-4104-A9F1-AD4BCA366030.jpeg

3B286A40-BB3D-444F-BCE6-C4D0A2752238.jpeg

Edited by dawsonscreek
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, thejigger said:

Awesome! I have owned Britts my whole life until we got a lab a year and half ago and they are great dogs. Don't be afraid to hunt ducks and geese with your dog, I think you will be pleasantly surprised. My Britts were great waterfowl dogs. Good luck and safe hunting!

I really hope he will do waterfowl, it’s what I hunt most often! Right now he is struggling with retrieving, I had him staying steady for a dummy and releasing to fetch on my command but for some reason he quit, lost interest or something. I will certainly work on him for that though, a versatile hunting dog is what I’m after in him. 

99AF5F29-42C4-4797-8B6D-B741468BB79E.jpeg

13 minutes ago, dawsonscreek said:

It is a Stevens 555 20 gauge. Made by Savage. Light to carry and only around $500 so I don’t feel bad getting it dinged up!

Looks similar to my CZ Upland Ultralight, that's why I asked, checks in at just under 6 lbs. Same here, didn't spend a lot, still a decent gun, and not afraid to mark it up.

6 months old and killing birds over him is a great sign. I have always put my pups on birds when they were young, there is still a lot of time to work with them. Obedience is huge, having the ability to command your dog to sit, stay, come and heel is crucial. Not trying to sound like I have all the answers because every dog teaches me something new, but if I had to choose between any other hunting and bird hunting, bird hunting would be it. I am taking my son and his friend to Nebraska next week for 6 days of hunting. This will be my 8th trip out west chasing birds and I hope to do it for a long time to come. Don't get discouraged, the dog is still young and the two of you have a lot to learn together!

1 hour ago, spinfly said:

Looks similar to my CZ Upland Ultralight, that's why I asked, checks in at just under 6 lbs. Same here, didn't spend a lot, still a decent gun, and not afraid to mark it up.

I’ll keep that in mind. Once can never have too many shotguns, despite what my better half says. 

1 hour ago, thejigger said:

6 months old and killing birds over him is a great sign. I have always put my pups on birds when they were young, there is still a lot of time to work with them. Obedience is huge, having the ability to command your dog to sit, stay, come and heel is crucial. Not trying to sound like I have all the answers because every dog teaches me something new, but if I had to choose between any other hunting and bird hunting, bird hunting would be it. I am taking my son and his friend to Nebraska next week for 6 days of hunting. This will be my 8th trip out west chasing birds and I hope to do it for a long time to come. Don't get discouraged, the dog is still young and the two of you have a lot to learn together!

I know what you mean, I’ve only been out for deer three days this season, unheard of for me. But watching the dog run around and have a great time has been fun! I could definitely see myself doing lots of bird hunting especially once he’s “finished”. I hope to get out west someday too! Good luck!