2019 Gun Buck (pic Heavy) with Interesting story(at least to me).

Tank

First off great Bucks everyone and Congratulations to all who have scored!

I shot this Buck @10:30 on the quietest opening morning in 31 years. He was the only deer I saw. He came casually walking through the woods to my left and entered the logging trail 50 yards from me and walked straight towards me. I shot him at 30 yards and dropped him in his tracks. My stand is 20 yards from where the East/West logging trail turns Southwest.

The interesting part is I recognized him as I Buck I had ALL over my cameras in 16' and 17' but hadn't gotten a pic of him since just before the Gun opener in 17'. I thought he got killed during Gun 17'. I called him "Uptilt" due to his right main beam shooting up farther than the left. I could only go off of his rack in that moment until my Taxidermist friend was caping him out for me and noticed he had a regressive (my word to describe) lower jaw, of which he has only seen 3 times in well over 1000 deer.

After finding that I started scouring through pics back at Camp from 16' and 17' trying to pin down if he had that condition in 16' and 17' and if I could distinguish it from pics. Well, sure enough he did and I was able to see it in a few of his pics!

Anyway, that is the first Buck that I know of that ghosted me for nearly 2 years without a pic only to resurface and be able to Harvest! Needless to say It has been very cool experience for me!

Thanks for reading! It seemed a little Long to put into Rob's thread.

The last two pic is him in November 17! One shows his overbite perfectly!

Tank

IMG_20191116_103953.jpegIMG_20191116_103958.jpegIMG_20191116_104329.jpegIMG_20191116_104009.jpegIMG_20191116_121607.jpegIMG_20191116_125958.jpegIMG_20191116_121941.jpegIMG_20191117_040447.jpegIMG_20171020_1604594.jpeg

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Edited by Tank
  • Like 6

This just goes to show you that these big old bucks can virtually disappear from the landscape but they are still there! Also, there's bucks we have no idea about, in the areas we hunt. What a terrific surprise! I am hunting a mile square that captured five great bucks on the same trail camera back in  jusSeptember. I have not seen them yet after 40 hours on stands there. But I keep trying because I know they are nearby since early September they were in their home area not chasing does all over the county. It keeps me going through many long days with no deer sighted at all.

I hear ya garrymny, In 7 years of using Cameras now I have only shot one Buck that I didn't have a pic of. This Buck is the first that disappeared for so long only to reappear. As you said it WAS a terrific surprise! One I will never forget. Good luck to you on your quest!

I have seen a deer tagging study where a buck had a home range then during the rut, he shifted to a soybean field 4 miles away with lots of does then returned back to home range after rut. Food on property is critical. 

Edited by Gill-T
  • Like 1