Survey Question

sszoldra

I'm looking at a really clean Carolina Classic and I asked about a survey and the owner told me that it had one 2 years ago for insurance. The boat actually sits in a boathouse and you can eat off the motor. So, should I trust the 2 year old survey, or have a new one done for myself?

5 hours ago, sszoldra said:

I'm looking at a really clean Carolina Classic and I asked about a survey and the owner told me that it had one 2 years ago for insurance. The boat actually sits in a boathouse and you can eat off the motor. So, should I trust the 2 year old survey, or have a new one done for myself?

If you were buying a house would you trust the home inspection that was provided by the homeowner? Its a big investment. I would feel better spending the money and getting it done myself.

Insurance Survey isn't as comprehensive as a "normal " survey. They do not inspect every nook and cranny. Usually it's more like a once over , like walking around a car ,not driving it and then saying it's worth  X amount even though you never got inside it to see if everything works , the engine and driveline isn't shot or putting it on a lift to see if the frame /unibody is solid ect.. Someone having a insurance survey is usually looking for a bigger number than what it might actually be worth and the surveyor is aware of this. Not saying they might artificially inflate the value but it is being done for the owner , not the buyer. I would say 95% of inboard engines always look like you could eat off them , so that doesn't mean anything ,it's what inside the engine and stringers that matters . .Having said all that I have never heard of a CC having any issues with stringers, layups ,through hull fittings , but someone mounting there own stuff and not sealing it correctly does happen. . Yes , have your own survey if it's over 10 -15 grand , which I am sure it is., being a CC. You can always agree on a price and even put a deposit down , based on it passing the survey ,happens all the time.

Edited by Bozeman Bob

I had 2 surveys done last year on 2 different boats buy 2 different surveyors. It was very eye opening. I can tell you that if i was buying a boat that Shawn Bartnett is the guy that i would suggest.He was very thorough and knowledgeable.I wont say who other guy was . Bartnett Marine Services 585 624 1380. Maybe someone else can chime in on his work ?

I had 2 surveys done last year on 2 different boats buy 2 different surveyors. It was very eye opening. I can tell you that if i was buying a boat that Shawn Bartnett is the guy that i would suggest.He was very thorough and knowledgeable.I wont say who other guy was . Bartnett Marine Services 585 624 1380. Maybe someone else can chime in on his work ?
I agree. Bartnett is very good. He did my survey when I purchased my penny.

Sent from my moto z4 using Lake Ontario United mobile app