No Answer

tim

Trying to get information on an autopilot that will work on my kicker motor. I have sent several emails to Garmin and Lowrance customer service asking for information and help. No answer. Is it just me or wouldn’t you think they would want a $3000 sale . Don’t know how else to get help from these people. Any ideas?

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

36 minutes ago, tim said:

Trying to get information on an autopilot that will work on my kicker motor. I have sent several emails to Garmin and Lowrance customer service asking for information and help. No answer. Is it just me or wouldn’t you think they would want a $3000 sale . Don’t know how else to get help from these people. Any ideas?

I've called Garmin a couple times for tech support and have always had good results. Never sent an email.

I've called Garmin a couple times for tech support and have always had good results. Never sent an email.

I’ll try calling, the Garmin Reactor 40 for small kicker looks good.

I’ll try calling, the Garmin Reactor 40 for small kicker looks good.

CK 3080. I have an autopilot on my 3.0 Islander IO linked to my 15hp Merc with EZ steer nothing but problems.Screwed with that for 3 years now. 65 years old now don’t want any problems just want to fish. Going to end up fishing myself friends my age want to sit home. That’s why I’m looking for a kicker autopilot so any help appreciated.Thanks

Gotcha. Yes, the garmin is for you. I believe the new reactor 40 has replaced the tr-1. Not sure of any other kicker ap on the market that does throttle and steering control

Gotcha. Yes, the garmin is for you. I believe the new reactor 40 has replaced the tr-1. Not sure of any other kicker ap on the market that does throttle and steering control

Don’t really need the throttle control have an ITroll on the boat with hunt mode and I love that hate to get rid of it

Don’t really need the throttle control have an ITroll on the boat with hunt mode and I love that hate to get rid of it

Suppose I could sell the I troll

I think I chimed in on your other thread talking about kicker AP, so I won't get into that as others have mirrored what I said already. I emailed Garmin maybe 2 weeks ago asking about the Reactor 40 Kicker AP, they answered my email in less than 24hrs. Their site is a little tricky when it comes to asking for support but here is a link to the page I emailed them through (click on the email tab on the bottom right side, for serial number I just put 1). Try that or just call them.

https://support.garmin.com/en-US/?partNumber=010-00705-94&tab=topics&topicTag=region_setup

Edited by FishingFool34

I think I chimed in on your other thread talking about kicker AP, so I won't get into that as others have mirrored what I said already. I emailed Garmin maybe 2 weeks ago asking about the Reactor 40 Kicker AP, they answered my email in less than 24hrs. Their site is a little tricky when it comes to asking for support but here is a link to the page I emailed them through (click on the email tab on the bottom right side, for serial number I just put 1). Try that or just call them.

https://support.garmin.com/en-US/?partNumber=010-00705-94&tab=topics&topicTag=region_setup

Thank you I’ll try

If your kicker has a steering tube as most have you could hook up a lowrance system. You would need to get a cylinder from a hydraulic steering system and install on your kicker. You get the pump with the lowrance system. You wont have a hydraulic helm
But that will not matter. Lowrance HDS gen 2 or later running the pump only(no helm)to a cylinder in the steering tube will work great. You must get the cylinder separately.

Sent from my SM-J737V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Thank you I’ll try

Finally got a hold of Garman my motors is a 2015 but it’s carbureted throttle won’t work on a carbureted four stroke has to be EFI so if I can use my Itroll for throttle and the reactor for steering that might work.

1 hour ago, tim said:

Finally got a hold of Garman my motors is a 2015 but it’s carbureted throttle won’t work on a carbureted four stroke has to be EFI so if I can use my Itroll for throttle and the reactor for steering that might work.

You could look into the Garmin TR-1 Gold AP system. The engine specific throttle actuator is sold separately with that unit anyway. If you don't need it just don't buy it.

Edited by FishingFool34

You could look into the Garmin TR-1 Gold AP system. The engine specific throttle actuator is sold separately with that unit anyway. If you don't need it just don't buy it.

Fantastic that’ll work

Fantastic that’ll work

Asked Garmin if this is possible to just use the autopilot function without throttle .Their respond was “we have not tested this unit in that way if you do, it will void the warranty “ Three emails to them on if I could use the Reactor , no help at all,

Asked Garmin if this is possible to just use the autopilot function without throttle .Their respond was “we have not tested this unit in that way if you do, it will void the warranty “ Three emails to them on if I could use the Reactor , no help at all,

Looks like I’m back to square one.

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like I’m back to square one.

Looks like the motor ez steer and ITroll will be for sale cheap in spring . Sick of trying to deal with all the trouble. And it’s a great motor

What was the reason you couldn't use the Garmin TR1 Gold AP system? The system is a generic system designed for kickers, you purchase the specific cylinder mounting kit for your motor and specific throttle control unit separately from the core AP system. If you use the iTroll for throttle control instead of the separate unit that Garmin sells, the TR1 should still control the steering without any issues. With all the people running the TR1 system here I wouldn't be surprised if someone has the system with an aftermarket throttle control like Trollmaster or iTroll. 

There is an old thread on the walleye central forums about a guy with the TR1 system where the throttle control that came with the TR1 stopped working. He said instead of fixing it he added a trollmaster throttle control and hasn't had any issues.

https://www.walleyecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=281314

Edited by FishingFool34

I think the issue with the new Reactor 40 kicker system is that it is all electronic, where the TR1 system is mainly hydraulic. Missing electronic components like throttle control may cause a fault or error in the system. But in the TR1 system the throttle control is completely separate of the main hydraulic AP so having something different controlling the throttle wouldn't have any affect on the main AP system. 

I run a TR-1 and use a Trollmaster for my throttle control and it works fine.

I already had the Trollmaster installed when I added the TR-1 so I didn't purchase the TR-1 throttle package.

Since the TR-1 isn't controlling the throttle I have the option to program it to make S turns instead.

Don't know if there are any new TR-1's available since Garmin seems to have replaced it with the Reactor 40.

I run a TR-1 and use a Trollmaster for my throttle control and it works fine.
I already had the Trollmaster installed when I added the TR-1 so I didn't purchase the TR-1 throttle package.
Since the TR-1 isn't controlling the throttle I have the option to program it to make S turns instead.
Don't know if there are any new TR-1's available since Garmin seems to have replaced it with the Reactor 40.

According to Garmin my motor is not listed only 15 horse EFI and 2018 Mines a 2015 carbureted so mine would be a custom install and it might or might not be guaranteed.If I could find someone that could do it I would pay them to do it I don’t have the necessary talent to do a custom install on an auto pilot

43 minutes ago, tim said:

According to Garmin my motor is not listed only 15 horse EFI and 2018 Mines a 2015 carbureted so mine would be a custom install and it might or might not be guaranteed.If I could find someone that could do it I would pay them to do it I don’t have the necessary talent to do a custom install on an auto pilot

I don't understand why carb vs EFI matters if you're not using their throttle controller. All you need is core system and cylinder mounting kit for your kicker. I think you're still looking at the Reactor 40 system info... 1999 Merc 15hp & newer (looks to be same p/n as the 9.9)is listed below with the part number for the cylinder mount for the TR1 Gold AP system.

https://support.garmin.com/en-US/?faq=iWIKkJsON5AUtL3TUMduC7

West Marine has the core TR1 system in stock and the cylinder mounting kits you can get from a couple different places if you do a google search.
https://www.westmarine.com/buy/garmin--tr-1-gold-marine-autopilot--17143165?cm_sp=Onsite-Recs-_-DY-_-Search-Results
https://www.mygreenoutdoors.com/garmin-tr-1-cylinder-bracket-kit-f-mercury-9-9-1999-2004-mercury-15-1999-2009-120-1010-01/

That should be everything you need to run the TR1 system with your iTroll.

Edited by FishingFool34

Not looking at the reactor 40 all the emails to Garmin were for the TR one Gold. All I have been getting is one sentence responses not a lot of help from Garman.So you’re saying all you need is the TR -1 gold and the cylinder mounting bracket? And they’re also saying this may or may not void warranty’s.

The throttle actuator is an "optional kit" for the TR-1 and is not required.  You actually gain additional options by not using the actuator by reprogramming the control.  The TR-1 Gold is a discontinued model since it was replaced with the Reactor 40 so it's likely that Garmin's customer service is not as familiar with it as they should be.

Here's a quote from the TR-1 manual, pg14, telling you what to do if you do NOT use the throttle actuator:

"Refer to the manuals supplied with the throttle and steering cylinder kits, and install these parts before continuing with the procedures that follow. If you do not use the throttle actuator, it is recommended that you coat #2 pico connector with a grease to protect it from corrosion."

You will find this on pg 27 showing how if you don't have the throttle actuator you can program the throttle control button to run a zigzag trolling pattern:

"If you program the Idle/Resume button for Zigzags (other), then when you press the Idle/Resume button the pilot will begin to zigzag about the heading you were on when you pressed the button. The zigzag angle and period are both programmable. An example zigzag path is shown in the figure below."

Here's a link to the TR-1 owners manual:

https://static.garmincdn.com/pumac/TR-1GoldMarineAutopilot_TR-1GoldOwnersManual_906-2000-00_.pdf

5 hours ago, tim said:

Not looking at the reactor 40 all the emails to Garmin were for the TR one Gold. All I have been getting is one sentence responses not a lot of help from Garman.So you’re saying all you need is the TR -1 gold and the cylinder mounting bracket? And they’re also saying this may or may not void warranty’s.

Yes that is exactly what I am saying. I’m in a very similar position as you and have been researching this for a while now. My kicker is older (2005 Yamaha 9.9 carb)and is not compatible with the new reactor system. I like you already have a throttle control unit for my kicker as well. There’s nothing you would be doing that would void any warranty, everything would be factory Garmin parts installed exactly how they say. You would just not be purchasing a completely separate and optional part from them.