From Sutton company

On Facebook: It is with a sorrowful heart that I tell you that my father, Jim Stafford is in the last days of his life. This will make me unavailable to customers as I spend these precious final moments with him and family. The store will continue to be open, but I will not be responding to emails or messenger for the immediate future.

I would visit the store on my way to business meetings just south of Buffalo. During one visit Jim took a liking to me because I was setting up a Seth Green rig. That visit was truly magical. Jim took me to a bunch of little drawers and introduced me to a few of the secret weapon lures I depend on to this day. He said “44’s are good, but” and taught me why some of the others were “good” too. I will always remember the wry smile and sparkle in his eye when he was talking about things he knew and loved. Unique and great person. Speaking for all Finger Lakes fishermen and women...we will miss him and remember him fondly. 

1ED235FF-F5BB-4B1D-B545-9AC328C113EA.jpeg

I first went to the store in the early sixties or so prior to going in the military and I vaguely remember his dad or maybe his uncle schooling me on stream fishing for rainbows. The store has not changed much to this day and I believe that same set of drawers with the spoons that Mark mentioned is still behind the counter on the right side midway back in the store:smile: My grandfather bought spoons from Sutton's around the turn of the century (early 1900's) and Jim later continued that great family tradition of making spoons and  using the true silver plating process despite the intrusion of more recent environmental regulations relating to the use of the plating materials. Despite the voluminous amount of fishing and outdoor materials in the store Jim seemed to know where every single item was no matter how small or inexpensive:smile: Both he and the store  have been magnets to the Naples community bringing in people from far and wide - some just for the unique experience of the store, but Jim always took the time to discuss things or offer words of wisdom or fishing advice. There are some things in life that seem irreplaceable and both Jim and the Sutton store fall into that category.

Edited by Sk8man
  • Like 1

I am very sorry to hear of his passing. I never met him but really appreciated his spoons. 

There is a 34lb King hanging on my living room wall with a Sutton #38 in her mouth that I caught her on back during the first week of August in 1989..

RIP...

• Like 1

Just as an FYI - I was at the Sutton Store yesterday (Saturday Nov 23rd) and spoke with the lady who works there. She said it is unclear what the plans are for the store and that Jim's daughter who lives in Henrietta  manages the store at present and commutes there daily. And yes I did purchase a few spoons and no they didn't have a #42:smile:

Did they have a "#44, but..."?

Also sad to hear this news, I've been familiar with the store since starting to fish Naples in my teens, where else were you finding gold eagle claws, rubber eggs clusters,  and wood grubs back before trout eggs became legal bait?  I bought most of the materials for my Seth Green rig there, as well  The best spoons ever created, to my Finger Lakes and Adirondack Lake fishing mind.   RIP.

• Like 1

You can never replace the knowledge & wisdom these old fisherman had but you sure remember the lessons they taught you as we walk though this life may you rest in peace Jim RIP. Prayers to his family a Legend has returned to heaven.