whats the best map chip for Lake Ontario??

What map chip would you recommend for the best contours in L.O. ??

I'm going to upgrade my GPS unit this year and want to get something that will run the best mapping chip....I usually fish the Eastern Basin, but I try to get to Olcott each May

thanks, Joe

Couple questions; 1. what's the difference between a map and a chart? and 2. How do you use the Gold chart and the fishing chip at the same time, load one and then load the other? I checked the navionics site and my units(Lowrance 525cdf, and a global map 5200c) are compatible w/ the x 14, but these units have only one S.D. card port. I am in the process of installing the Navionics Platinum Lake Map in both but I believe it only covers the eastern basin and the flx so I am wondering what is in the "chart" vs. the "map" and if I can run them simultaneously.

Unless you have two card ports or a hard drive on your unit you'll probably have to run them separately. The Fishin Chip is not a navigational chart, but rather a contour map of the bottom of the lake. The charts will have all of the navigational aids and other information listed on them, whereas the Fishin Chip doesn't. I have a Humminbird 955C NVB that came pre-loaded with every one of the Gold+ and Premium charts that Navionics makes, but since I didn't "buy" a Gold+ chip they won't send me the Fishin Chip. I've fished on a couple of boats that have the Fishin Chip and it is a very nice tool to have, but we've made due without it and been just fine, although I've been considering buying a Gold+ chart just so I can get the Fishin Chip. One of the guys that charters out of FH has it on his Raymarine and since he knows the area so we and doesn't need the navigational aides on the chart he tends to use just the Fishin Chip.

Here's a pic of what the Gold+ charts look like on my 955C:

DSC05929.jpg

I took that picture the day we installed it. The boat was sitting at the Watercraft Clinic in Red Creek, but you get the idea of what it looks like on the water.

1155c_nvb_18.jpg

This is a stock Humminbird pic of the Gold+ charts. You can see that there are contour lines on the Gold+. There are just a lot more on the Fishin Chip.

If your carry a hand held unit with you as backup, then you can put the fishing chip in it.

I called Navionics last year when I got my fishing chip and they told me it is no good unless you are at least 5 miles off shore, so I never used it. I put it in my handheld last night and found out it has all of the info where I fish. This year I will just use it in my handheld unit.

The gold chip gives you more info then what’s loaded on the unit. I haven’t tried the fishing chip on my unit on the boat yet to see how it looks.

I know the gold chip will tell you the name of the wreck you are on, but if you put the fishing chip in, it does not give you the name and info.

As far as the stripers go, you know where they are.

Ray,

I just tried it in my handheld and you lose all of the buoy markers that are loaded in the unit when you put in the fishing chip. You can turn off the fishing chip without removing it and the buoy markers come back. So you can put it in and switch back and forth when you want to without removing the chip.

Rick & Billy, let me see if I have this straight;Billy you got the x 14 Gold chart and it has bottom contour but not in great detail, but all landmarks, and shore side facilities are presented in high detail with names available? Rick, you got the Gold chart + fishing chip too and now you are gonna run that on a handheld because the Gold chart is in the SD port of the boat's main GPS.

What portable unit do you have that runs the fishing chip? Will it run the Gold Chart too?

It almost seems like I should have gotten the Gold chart and the fishing chip instead of the Navionics platinum Lake Map, but it doesn't sound like I would get the high detailed bottom contours in the FLX w/ the fishing chip, at least that's what they said when I called and talked to them about this last August. Maybe I got a bum steer on this.

I have this for a handheld in black and white.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templ ... id=0028183

It runs the gold and fishing chip.

I have a Humminbird on the boat. It can only use one chip at a time. I was told by Navonics that the fishing chip is only goo for 5 miles out. I put it in my handheld and it shows right up to shore.

Keep in mind I have #16 chip for coastal waters. It does not give me Lake O info. I am ordering that one soon with the fishing chip.

I don't have the Fishin' Chip so I really can't say what to expect on the Finger Lakes with it Chowder.

The Gold+ charts have depth contours, but it's not every foot or so like it is on the Fishin' Chip. It's enough contour to keep you out of trouble though. It definitely has all of the landmarks, etc. It's primarily designed as a navigational tool rather than as a fishing tool.

Thanks for the help Rick and Billy, for what it's worth I will just say to anybody who is looking at these aftermarket maps-Buyer beware, Navionics has these products very carefully packaged. I don't think that you get near the bottom detail in the fishing chip for most inland lakes(FLX and others) that you get in the Platinum lake maps( at least that what tech support said) BUT if you go with the Platinum lake maps and you want bottom contours for the western part of Lake O. and the eastern basin you need two different maps!

Dear Chowder and others,

A map has detail for land based terrain. A chart pertains primarily to water features. This is why I prefer nautical charts to other types of "maps" when fishing any body of water in North America. I use the Standard Horizon GPS / Plotter because of its high detail on water structure thru-out Lake Ontario from St. Cath. to Henderson Harbor in one chip. Another chip I used had all the coastal waters of Florida from The panhandle to Key West and up to Jacksonville. fla. I have preferred these "C-Map" (copyright) chips since 1986 to the present.

You must get skilled in whatever system your using in order to stay afloat and fish with success. And remember that all that debris out there is not marked so get your eyes on the WATER and be carefull about staring at the chart too long!

Enjoy the big lake and be carefull!

Sincerely,

Jet Boat Bill