Is there hope ?

HB2

28 minutes ago, LongLine said:

Olcott about 1/2 hr ago:

859987743_waterolcott1-8-20.thumb.jpg.840e3eebcc83fcf31f7e0638f38078c8.jpg

Longline those are the only live gauges I can find also.  Lost a lure has access to live gauges on lake st. Lawrence but it's a couple feet off from what gets published the next day.  He also has live outflow numbers also that we cant see publicly if we need them.

1 hour ago, iiwhistlerii said:

2 fit from Cape Vincent to ogdensburg.  That's about 55 miles.  Then a 9 ft drop from there to the Gauge in Lake St. Lawrence probably only 25 miles down river.  Shows how restrictive the river is at that point.

Shows the effects of the wind on a larger body of water

Every bit of news coverage I see that talks about outflows from the Moses Saunders dam NEVER mentions the water levels on Lake St Lawrence, or the affects of higher outflows on Lake St Lawrence. It's like their only giving us part of the story, or the part they think people want to hear.

https://www.wwnytv.com/2020/01/08/water-outflows-unprecedented-rates-regulators-say/

Look at todays gauge readings at Cape Vincent, Alexandria Bay and Ogdensburg. You can see when the wind direction changed from SW to NW.
Yes. 100%. My post was relating water levels from cape Vincent to ogdensburg and then ogdensburg to lake st. Lawrence showing how the river drops as you head down river and how drastic the drop is at the narrows of the river right now compared to its gradient further east. That has nothing to do with the wind direction currently. Of course lake ontario levels fluctuate with the winds and its ripping out there right now. I've been listening to waves crashing all day.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

10 minutes ago, Todd in NY said:

Every bit of news coverage I see that talks about outflows from the Moses Saunders dam NEVER mentions the water levels on Lake St Lawrence, or the affects of higher outflows on Lake St Lawrence. It's like their only giving us part of the story, or the part they think people want to hear.

https://www.wwnytv.com/2020/01/08/water-outflows-unprecedented-rates-regulators-say/

It is mentioned in there actually.  Very last line.  "Low water levels up river."   Guess it's not the news they want to focus on.   Hopefully somebody can get a drone up and get some footage from up above while it's this low, I heard some of the old roads are exposed and the water is low enough where the old homes that are still down there underwater would show up from up above maybe. 

Its kind of big news up there to see the dam rip like this in January.  They've never opened the long sault spillway like it is right now this time of year.  Normally the area below that is the first to freeze.  The long sault is the dam in the photograph used in the article.  Idk I think it's cool to see anyway.  

• Like 1

The level on the upstream side of the Iroquois Dam only fluctuated up and down approximately 4 inches from this A.M. to P.M. with the wind change and approximately .5 inches on the downstream side. If you look back when the levels where higher the wind affected the levels more.

3 minutes ago, iiwhistlerii said:

It is mentioned in there actually.  Very last line.  "Low water levels up river."   Guess it's not the news they want to focus on.   Hopefully somebody can get a drone up and get some footage from up above while it's this low, I heard some of the old roads are exposed and the water is low enough where the old homes that are still down there underwater would show up from up above maybe. 

Its kind of big news up there to see the dam rip like this in January.  They've never opened the long sault spillway like it is right now this time of year.  Normally the area below that is the first to freeze.  The long sault is the dam in the photograph used in the article.  Idk I think it's cool to see anyway.  

Some old stone foundations are visible and the old roads.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

People forget it's not just a setting at the dam to get a specific outflow number.  The outflow is calculated based on what comes through the moses sauders power dam, combined with what goes over the long sault spillway, and what goes through the massena and Raisin river diversions.  Those numbers are all combined and they make up the "total outflow" number that we are given.  That's how winds can effect flow, it's not just push the button to get a set number.

Such a strong gere on east end probably helps to hold some water back from river.99248772_watergere1-9-20.thumb.jpg.adce73dc503f8afc4968d90338d11119.jpg
I've seen Vincent go up a good 12" & Rochester down the same, due to winds, in just a few hours.
Yea it doesn't take long. A stiff east usually drops flow big time on that river. That's the one that will leave you searching for a launch with water down below the dam. I've had the water drop so fast on Erie that we had our 20 foot duck rig go from floating in 2 foot of water to grounded up on the rocks high and dry in minutes with an east blow. On the other side stiff wests have forced me to have to have a guy jump off on shore and back the trailer down the ramp so I could power load the boat in the buffalo harbor many times over the years. Nothing like coming back to the launch to a dock that's now 2 feet under water. At least now they've replaced everything there with floating docks and a ramp that's big enough to account for water fluctuations. Those surges are no joke.

Yea it doesn't take long. A stiff east usually drops flow big time on that river. That's the one that will leave you searching for a launch with water down below the dam. I've had the water drop so fast on Erie that we had our 20 foot duck rig go from floating in 2 foot of water to grounded up on the rocks high and dry in minutes with an east blow. On the other side stiff wests have forced me to have to have a guy jump off on shore and back the trailer down the ramp so I could power load the boat in the buffalo harbor many times over the years. Nothing like coming back to the launch to a dock that's now 2 feet under water. At least now they've replaced everything there with floating docks and a ramp that's big enough to account for water fluctuations. Those surges are no joke.

Just received this from “friends of Sandy Pond “ https://www.northcountrypublicradio.org/news/story/40270/20200102/ijc-s-special-winter-management-may-help-lower-lake-ontario-and-the-st-lawrence-river

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

3 minutes ago, LongLine said:

gyre going back to normal (counterclockwise)

outflow:

1766554742_waterdischarge1-9-20.thumb.jpg.f4ed587f3652112004c4578c75bb8f6b.jpg

Ogdensburg

1999101133_waterogdensburg1-9-20.thumb.jpg.6b2bd352ac92e8a113954a45c9525cd9.jpg

Lake st. Lawrence is holding steady at 235.  Current has to be insane dropping 8 ft from ogdensburg to there but as long as its maintaining that depth they can keep it cranking.  Hopefully warm weather persists so that can keep this up as long as possible.  The rest of the great lakes are in rough shape.  

https://www.fox2detroit.com/news/great-lakes-water-levels-could-be-even-higher-in-2020

Screenshot_20200109-200513_Chrome.jpg

Does anyone know what the maximum level reached in 2019 and when for the east end of the lake?

The town of Napanee On. on the Bay of Quinte is saying this years levels could be 20 inches higher. Not sure how they could make that determination this early.

https://www.greaternapanee.com/Modules/News/index.aspx?newsId=91354fd4-884a-47cc-8c95-dae931e8fe62&feedId=9a5bbb6b-9d6d-46c3-9c93-54707873254b,eda0acf6-50ec-4981-83a3-bf568ad62119#

If this is even close to coming to pass there is little point to me paying for a slip at the marina. Last year i was parking the truck in 6 inches of water going into July.

Edited by horsehunter