Is there hope ?

HB2

With the baitfish assessment not being great , there may be hope . 

With the high water this past year , I haven't seen green water like that since the early 90s  . 

Green water means healthy water . Good bottom of the food chain water . Like it use to be . 

So maybe the IJC  Is helping us out 

They did say the reason for implementing the 2014 plan was for environmental reasons . And maybe they are right . 

We can only hope . 

That being said , the water sure looks high for this time of year . 

I'm not a fan either . 

But the water sure was green this year . Maybe it's just a a coincidence . 

Let me see what I can do at work. I should be able to run the data for turbidity at our intake and average it compared to past years. I would be interested to see what it shows.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app
  • Like 1

To clarify 

I'm not a fan of policy and all the damage / etc of 2014 

And I think the enviromentalists  we're used by profiteers  to pass the law with ulterior motives for hydro power and shipping 

But is the high water maybe helping the LO ecosystem like the enviromentalists predicted ? 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

To clarify 

I'm not a fan of policy and all the damage / etc of 2014 

And I think the enviromentalists  we're used by profiteers  to pass the law with ulterior motives for hydro power and shipping 

But is the high water maybe helping the LO ecosystem like the enviromentalists predicted ? 

I don’t know about the ecosystem. But it sure is helping the bottom line of the St Lawrence Seaway. Shipping more tonnage later every year. Need high water for that. By the way , the Seaway has already helped the LO ecosystem they introduced the zebra and quagga mussels , spiney and fishhook fleas , sea lamprey , round gobies , and a dozen or so other invasive species. It’s all about the money. They could care less about property damage and sport fishing

• Like 3

I understand all that . 

But if you take the emotion out of it , is this high water improving the ecosystem ? 

I don't like what is going on damage wise either . 

But if this in fact is  the new normal as stated by the Gov . And if this is improving water quality bait fish wise . 

That part is a good thing . 

I want to know if the enviromentalists were right on their reasoning . 

I think I am with Chinook 35 and Billy on this one. The 2014 thing appears to be a very poorly thought out decision and although the invasives were probably brought in by the shipping geniuses the lampreys seem to have a much more distant past :smile:

16 minutes ago, Sk8man said:

I think I am with Chinook 35 and Billy on this one. The 2014 thing appears to be a very poorly thought out decision and although the invasives were probably brought in by the shipping geniuses the lampreys seem to have a much more distant past :smile:

On the contrary . 

I think this was well thought out . 

The profiteers used the enviromentalists to get the plan implemented for hydro and shipping interests . 

Without the enviromentalists , this plan would not have been passed .

• Like 2

I believe the high water in 2017 and 2019 did not help the bait population at all. There were way less trips in April, May and some of June in 2017 and some missed trips in 2019 due to closed marinas, launches and docks. Less trips = less fish going home in coolers.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, chinook35 said:

I don’t know about the ecosystem. But it sure is helping the bottom line of the St Lawrence Seaway. Shipping more tonnage later every year. Need high water for that. By the way , the Seaway has already helped the LO ecosystem they introduced the zebra and quagga mussels , spiney and fishhook fleas , sea lamprey , round gobies , and a dozen or so other invasive species. It’s all about the money. They could care less about property damage and sport fishing

The draft in the seaway is based on the chart datum. "high" water is not needed to maintain shipping 

The draft in the seaway is based on the chart datum. "high" water is not needed to maintain shipping 

And if the water level is below the chart datum ( which it normally is at this time of year ). Ships run the risk of grounding Higher water levels make it easier and safer for ships to transit the seaway , both up bound and down bound

15 hours ago, GAMBLER said:

I believe the high water in 2017 and 2019 did not help the bait population at all. There were way less trips in April, May and some of June in 2017 and some missed trips in 2019 due to closed marinas, launches and docks. Less trips = less fish going home in coolers.

Predator/ prey impact due to reduced trips  and a healthy  baitfish environment are two different conversations . 

I wonder about the latter. 

12 hours ago, chinook35 said:

And if the water level is below the chart datum ( which it normally is at this time of year ). Ships run the risk of grounding Higher water levels make it easier and safer for ships to transit the seaway , both up bound and down bound

The water level has not been down to the chart datum since 1965