2020 Summer LOC

To all the guys that fish the LOC in the Summer, big change for 2020.  I just read on their website that they are dumping the steelhead division and replacing it with walleye. 

LOC 2020
Summer Derby

June 27th – July 26th

$32,250 Cash 

$10,000 Grand Prize
For the largest Salmon

Four Divisions
Salmon, Lake Trout,
Walleye & Brown Trout

Cash Prizes for each division

First Place $1000
Second Place $400
Third Place $300
Fourth Place $200
Fifth Place $100
Sixth Thru 10th Place $75
11th Thru 20th $50

$2500 Big Fish of the Week Prizes!

$1000 weekly for the largest  Salmon entered.

$500 weekly for the largest Lake, Brown and Walleye.

Weekly winners carry over if no fish meets the minimum

WEEKLY DATES

6/27-7/4, 7/5-7/11, 7/11-7/18, 7/19-7/26

10 minutes ago, Decoy Hound said:

Seems like a big push to protect the steelhead?

I think Dave is just trying to get more guys to enter.  I feel it will do the opposite.  The walleye fishery in the summer is a far East end thing.  Its not a huge pool of guys.  The steelhead fishery is lake wide.  If you look at the leaderboard the past two seasons, the steelhead were from all over the lake not just the West end. 

• Like 1

How about we replace the Kings with Bass , Lakers with Musky's and Browns with Sheepheads while were at it !  I have not observed or heard of anyone targeting Wally's on O from the Niagara river to Rochester. Do not know what happens from Rochester and East ,can't imagine it's a lot of people that target them. Def not going to rush out and buy Wally specific gear for this,  Do not think it's a good move , period.

45 minutes ago, Bozeman Bob said:

How about we replace the Kings with Bass , Lakers with Musky's and Browns with Sheepheads while were at it !  I have not observed or heard of anyone targeting Wally's on O from the Niagara river to Rochester. Do not know what happens from Rochester and East ,can't imagine it's a lot of people that target them. Def not going to rush out and buy Wally specific gear for this,  Do not think it's a good move , period.

I agree 100%.  Taking the lakers out of the fall years ago and steelhead out of the spring and now summer I think is wrong moves. 

Then I think the appropriate response from LOU community is to not sign up for the LOC anymore. I have become increasingly frustrated with how it’s changed and the way to get change in an economic event, is to not buy the product, send a message that it’s not what the ‘consumer’ wants and see if we are heard. If we keep paying them money, then we are sending the message (actions speak louder than words) that while we don’t like it, we accept.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

• Like 2

This is probably a result of the Salmon River guides and fishermen wanting to protect their money making steelhead run.  Fishing out of Niagara County, I can tell you the only time I target steelhead is the August LOC because kings head East.  This seems like an assault on the West-end fishermen.  I like having options for species to target.  This derby is getting less interesting every year!  Don't fix what is not broke!  We use statewide limits set by DEC fishery biologists to deal with conservation issues specific to individual species population goals-not some pay to play derby.  Bring all trout-salmon categories back! 

• Like 4

Been fishing nearly every weekend for the past 5 years with a large group of friends out of Sodus, and I seem to remember two Walleyes caught by the entire group.  This move by LOC cannot increase entries.  IMO bad move.  

This change does not affect me much since I do not go offshore much since I target browns, lakers and kings and only go offshore when the upwellings screw up the inside waters.  The 3 steelhead I have placed in the Summer LOC since the Summer LOC started were bycatch targeting kings.  Although, in 35 years of trolling trout and salmon in the Rochester basin, I have never boated a walleye while targeting trout and salmon.  For Dave to add another division for walleye he would either lose money or have to charge more to enter.  To take something away is not going to grow the derby.  People want better chances to place in the derby not less.  Charter clients are going to think twice about entering now that they lost a 25% chance of entering a fish to win $. 

We pulled a nice walleye out of Irondequoit Bay chasing April browns on a REALLY windy morning a couple years ago. Tossed it back since the season hadn't started yet; only one I've ever caught. Didn't think about it until just now but it figures - Rick was out in his Lund too! 

The explanation I got a few hours ago was they have to do what everyone wants.... and the Trout guys/Trib anglers are putting pressure on them...so pretty much saying the majority wanted to can steelhead and add the walleye division! I call bs everyone knows exactly why....I stay out of all this crap usually. But I have to call a spade a spade

Maybe Dave or Sarah Chilson will see this post and explain the reasons. I agree that it’s not a good decision with respect to participation numbers. 

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Lake Ontario United mobile app

It appears that lying has become commonplace. The trib guys said “we didn’t talk to the LOC folks”.....naw they just made the changes on their own....the funny thing is there are so few steelhead entered due to the high minimum size requirements for the derby, very few steelhead are actually killed. This is a stupid knee jerk reaction to some gum bumping by a select elite few. Time to send some emails. 

Guess I'll stick with the Seneca derby now...same or better prize money and just trout and salmon:lol:

Edited by Sk8man

Maybe they want to open the derby up to lake Erie waters and this is a prelude also there are a lot more walleye caught from Rochester west than given credit for if they really want it to work they should tweak the rules the same day weigh in hurts night fishing and no tribs mean rivers are out and walleye opens the door for folks on the st lawerance to get in. They should keep steelys in and just add the walleye to grow the participants and not just change them

Sent from my XT1080 using Lake Ontario United mobile app