RAYMARINE S1000 WIRELESS AUTOPILOT

Fishtails

What do you guys think of this unit. Anyone have one? I'm thinking of purchasing this but I'd like to hear a review or two. My other question is

A SeaTalk or NMEA 0183 compatible GPS receiver is required for autopilot operation. Does a Garmin 168 gps fit this application? What's NMEA 0183 compatible?

Thanks, Rod

Rod

Yes this garmin unit work. This is what guides the auto pilot.

Interfaces: NMEA 0183 and RTCM 104 DGPS corrections and outputs

http://www.garmin.com/products/gpsmap168s/spec.html

The NMEA 0183 Interface Standard defines electrical signal requirements, data transmission protocol and time, and specific sentence formats for a 4800-baud serial data bus. Each bus may have only one talker but many listeners.

NMEA 0183 (or NMEA for short) is a combined electrical and data specification for communication between marine electronic devices such as depth finders, navigation instruments, and GPS receivers. It has been defined by, and is controlled by, the US based National Marine Electronics Association. It is also commonly used for GPS receivers other than on board boats.

The NMEA 0183 standard uses a simple ASCII, serial communications protocol that defines how data is transmitted in a "sentence" from one "talker" to one or more "listeners". The standard also defines the contents of each sentence (message) type so that all listeners can parse messages accurately.

I have a Raymarine Sport Pilot Plus unit on my boat and I love it. I also interfaced with a garmin GPS .

Fishtails, I have the Raymarine S 1000 autopilot on my current boat which is a 19' Robalo CC. Couple of things to know first as Reeljerks said it does hook up to any NMEA 0183 mines a 150c standard horz. chart plotter and works fine. You need hydraulic steering on you boat which I'm assuming you have. The unit works great even in honest waves up to 5' last year in the LOC derby at the bar one day was really nasty but the autopilot stayed right on track. The only problem I've had if you are going to slow sometimes it looses the GPS reading but that was only fishing for walleye, never had a problem for salmon. You will love the preset fishing features I used the zig zag the most and it can be adjusted small, medium, and large pattern. The remote control is awesome anywhere on the boat even up front.Hope this helps.