Time for an upgrade: Salmon River fish hatchery slated for $5.2 million in improvements

Legacy

Much needed as we saw first hand what amazing things that hatchery does with what little they get.

That being said it's funny how they magically came up with money for this. A few years ago they were running the DEC with a skeleton crew becasue there was no money to hire. Last I checked our state is still running at or near a deficit? The timing is perfect. You just have to wonder if this is to try and smooth out some of the harsh back and forth from the recent regulation proposals?

• Like 1

Government budgets are funny things.  I worked for a music store I Binghamton after college, and repaired a lot of instruments for the Vestal School system.  They would bring me a guitar that had been reduced virtually to tooth picks from abuse, playing El Kabong on the bus, whatever, and ask that I make it playable again.  I would point out that a new instrument would be far less expensive, and would be easier for a student to play, and the response was always, "there is no money in the line for new equipment, but plenty of money in the repair line, so just fix that one."  Labor is always the biggest cost in a budget, the hardest to get increased, but the least likely to be cut as well due to public perceptions and dislike for layoffs.  40 years is a long time for a lot of projects, most companies and governments work on a 25 year depreciation scale, so the folks in Altmar have done a great job of keeping that facility going.  And while the operating budget may be near deficit, the capital budget may have included this upgrade for some time, and it will get paid for over some time.   I know when it came time to finish the upgrades to the display area a few years ago, hatchery staff did the painting rather than go though the long drawn out process of contracting a painting company, got it done quickly, and likely for less money than would have been involved in a government contract.

We will take what we can get.  5.2 million in this construction market right now in CNY wont go very far but it is def better then nothing.  Labor rates on Capital Improvement projects will eat that up quick (IE rate job).  Many Many of our large commercial jobs right now are coming at 30 to 40% over initial estimates.  Limited labor force to meet demand and cost of goods have driven huge price increases.  I know a lot of people are going to find it hard to believe but commercial construction in Central NY is off the Chart right now.   It is good news however and we should not look a gift horse in the mouth.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Tall Tails said:

.  Many Many of our large commercial jobs right now are coming at 30 to 40% over initial estimates.  Limited labor force to meet demand and cost of goods have driven huge price increases.  I know a lot of people are going to find it hard to believe but commercial construction in Central NY is off the Chart right now.   

You can thank Mr Davis and Mr Bacon for that . 

Proving a well water source of warm ground water for early growth of fry to fingerlings during the winter months was the main requirement for locating the hatchery at Altman. Studies over a couple years located the warm water source. While a lot of interest in wild hatch fish is mentioned most the wild hatched fish are forage for the big guys out in the lake, their hatch time and growth are delayed by ice cold winter water temperatures.

On 12/6/2019 at 3:01 PM, HB2 said:

You can thank Mr Davis and Mr Bacon for that . 

Are you trying to imply that people in the construction trade are over paid? Maybe we should all make $15/hr so our families can live off welfare to make ends meet and not put any money into retirement so the government can pay for us when we’re unable to work

5 hours ago, fishmaster13184 said:

Are you trying to imply that people in the construction trade are over paid? Maybe we should all make $15/hr so our families can live off welfare to make ends meet and not put any money into retirement so the government can pay for us when we’re unable to work

I work in the construction industry and have done pretty well for myself . I get paid what I  feel I'm worth and my phone is ringing off the hook .  

I would not be in business if I  Went 30  to 40% over budget  consistently. 

I'm glad for the improvements at Altmar but I think we need another hatchery to rear more Brown's and maybe steelhead and Atlantic's . Now where the money for this will come from is,anybody's guess. 

I work in the construction industry and have done pretty well for myself . I get paid what I  feel I'm worth and my phone is ringing off the hook .  

I would not be in business if I  Went 30  to 40% over budget  consistently. 

I'm glad for the improvements at Altmar but I think we need another hatchery to rear more Brown's and maybe steelhead and Atlantic's . Now where the money for this will come from is,anybody's guess. 

I believe there was an offer to the DEC for another hatchery in Niagara County a couple years ago and it got shot down. Someone with more details of it please chime in.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, GAMBLER said:

I believe there was an offer to the DEC for another hatchery in Niagara County a couple years ago and it got shot down. Someone with more details of it please chime in.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

You are correct Brian. The funding was in place, the site was available, Lewiston was onboard. It was fought tooth and nail by DEC and here we are with all the eggs in one basket. 

• Like 1

I could understand the DEC’s angst about pulling returns away from the golden goose-Salmon River and the needed egg allotment years ago but with salmon run protections in place on the Canadian tribs, we would have a plan B (Canadian fish) if Altmar is short eggs. Maybe this proposal needs to be revisited with the dismal west-end returns. 

Was there data on water temperatures throughout the year, indicating a suitable water supply  with a sufficient and stable volume?  My recollection is that NYSDEC vetted water sources pretty thoroughly prior to building the Altmar hatchery and the SR/Beaverdam Brook site had the best source, despite the problems they have had with it since. 

Until there are reliable indication that the bait is out of the woods and bouncing back, I doubt either NYS or Ontario will consider stocking more fish of any species, and if there were going to be increases, it would only be fair, and working within the FCO's to increase King numbers  before Trout got bumped up.