Monroe County Lake Trout Stocking

GAMBLER

The Atlantics on Huron are not self sustaining.  They are a very fragile fish.  I don't think they would do well in pen projects.  Extremely poor return for the investment.  Best chance might be to get rid of the Black River Dam and let them get up into the small headwaters in the adirondacks.  In our lifetime this species may go extinct in the wild.  

3 hours ago, Fat Trout said:

Just curious ...and only curious...did they turn down atlantics or whatever would be pen reared?  I was talking with Bob at Salmon Country and from what I understood the Pen thing degraded into not enough help and he just didn't have the manpower to do it. He was telling me how long it took to wire tie the nets to the pen etc.   I don't even remember how it came up, probably because I saw the pen sitting there and asked him.  He was telling me something to the effect that those that might have helped had more interest in other things ie browns than steelhead or others.  I could be off, only asking again out of curiosity.  I realize that volunteer effort is insufficient generally speaking everywhere and usually falls on the shoulders of a very few. Admittedly, my knowledge is piece meal.  

LOL Bob... So we had volunteers.  It got really difficult dealing with the Marina, so we had folks that live on the river volunteer to host the pens at there personal docks.  This group was all set to raise the steelhead when it came up at the State of Lake that there is no public fishing access to the little salmon river for the steelhead. After a bit of back and forth and I will leave it at that Steve Hurst DEC Director of Fisheries pulled the steelhead from the group.  We tried to ask for Kings and got told NO...  And let me throw this in one more time because I am tired of talking about it... THERE IS NO PEN REARING FOR BROWN TROUT!!!  We could hold them for 24 hours to allow them acclimate and that would be the extent of it.  We were then approached about the Atlantic Salmon and that makes no sense at all from any angle while we are in the middle of King Salmon cuts...  That is very much the short version if you would like more detail please feel free to PM me.

They aren't even doing well in the Atlantic Ocean here in the US. They are currently a protected species in the marine environment and I believe I read somewhere that the only real viable "native" populations run up three rivers in Maine. The commercial "farm" raisers have a reputation for spreading all sorts of diseases among them as well as other salmon using the waters where they are located. I'm not sure about the genetic origin of the NYS stocked strain.

Edited by Sk8man

There are runs in Canada still-but dwindling.  A few years back they did a radio tracking study to see where the atlantics go once they are in the ocean. The results of the study showed a good portion of the fish stocks going up to Iceland (if memory serves).  Once the migration pathway was discovered and the info went public, the fishing industry decimated stocks in short order.  Research designed to help uncover mysteries inadvertently did much harm.

I know Iceland has  a population of them as does Norway but if memory serves me correctly there are three main populations: North America, Europe and Russia. I think most of the Atlantic Ocean fish frequent Greenland to winter over as it is the main feeding ground before they return to their native streams to spawn. The North American population is in southern Canada and the Gulf of Maine.

LOL Bob... So we had volunteers.  It got really difficult dealing with the Marina, so we had folks that live on the river volunteer to host the pens at there personal docks.  This group was all set to raise the steelhead when it came up at the State of Lake that there is no public fishing access to the little salmon river for the steelhead. After a bit of back and forth and I will leave it at that Steve Hurst DEC Director of Fisheries pulled the steelhead from the group.  We tried to ask for Kings and got told NO...  And let me throw this in one more time because I am tired of talking about it... THERE IS NO PEN REARING FOR BROWN TROUT!!!  We could hold them for 24 hours to allow them acclimate and that would be the extent of it.  We were then approached about the Atlantic Salmon and that makes no sense at all from any angle while we are in the middle of King Salmon cuts...  That is very much the short version if you would like more detail please feel free to PM me.
Nope, thanks thats plenty of detail. I wasn't trying to dig at old wounds. I had a 3 min conversation with him when i saw the pen there.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Lake trout fishing has changed on Keuka Lake. Ice fishermen drop a spoon to the bottom and reel it up. At about forty foot  from the bottom the lakers strike. This is called vertical trolling and possibly should work on Ontario with spoons and jigs. 

2 hours ago, Sk8man said:

I know Iceland has  a population of them as does Norway but if memory serves me correctly there are three main populations: North America, Europe and Russia. I think most of the Atlantic Ocean fish frequent Greenland to winter over as it is the main feeding ground before they return to their native streams to spawn. The North American population is in southern Canada and the Gulf of Maine.

Ya I think you are right with Greenland not Iceland.