Predator time

strutnrut62

I'm exciting to get into it a little more this year.  Bought a bunch of gear last fall (decoy, headlamps, scope-mount lights, electronic caller).  Last year i was using my 30-06, but a few months ago i won a .223 in a gun raffle, and i've added a bipod and one of the scope-mount lights to that.  Can't wait to try it out soon.

Resized_20191207_170433.thumb.jpeg.6c95f43e174e7e883c7ffe26c16b2665.jpeg

• Like 1

Sorry for being a bit skeptic,but I see all that great technology and I wonder if the hunter also gets better. Could you reach the same amazing results with an old but very precise carbine with a 7.62 bullet at 400 yards? This modern -sometimes- laser guided equipment is great,but isn't the hunting sport more about learning about the prey and honing the senses of the hunter, than it is about making that technology guided shot?

• Like 1

Had two coyotes push 11 deer to me yesterday. First time in my life I liked a coyote! If I could have gotten a good shot at either coyote, I would have taken a coyote over another deer! The one was blonde and the other was the normal gray color.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

2 hours ago, rolmops said:

Sorry for being a bit skeptic,but I see all that great technology and I wonder if the hunter also gets better. Could you reach the same amazing results with an old but very precise carbine with a 7.62 bullet at 400 yards? This modern -sometimes- laser guided equipment is great,but isn't the hunting sport more about learning about the prey and honing the senses of the hunter, than it is about making that technology guided shot?

not nearly so simple, wish it was.  a 7.62 would blow one up, no reason for that, would be like shooting a deer with a bazooka.  Coyotes are very smart, results of calling mirror those of musky fishing, not sunfish off your dock.  

• Like 2

5 hours ago, rolmops said:

Calling coyote will teach you things about hunting that deer will never teach you and that technology will never allow you to bypass.

This is kinda saying it's not sportsman like to fish with a fishfinder.
Shouldn't the fisherman just know where the fish are and hone their skills not using speed/temp probe either

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J327A using Lake Ontario United mobile app

4 hours ago, wishinfishin said:

This is kinda saying it's not sportsman like to fish with a fishfinder.
Shouldn't the fisherman just know where the fish are and hone their skills not using speed/temp probe either

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J327A using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Be it far from me to call this "not sportsman like", but I do understand what you say. Your suggestion would surely separate the boys from the men.

'

55 minutes ago, whaler1 said:

Put a carcass out last week and it’s been getting hammered. Put the motion detector out today and the .204 is ready to bark. Game on. IMG_0864.JPGIMG_0865.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Tuesday night I see one going down!

59579213011__A47E5B20-8C79-4A18-914C-6991DA143E08.thumb.JPG.99edc6d4b88e7a407b5e608dce9999b1.JPG25 cal. Put in to Winchester super short. Mag Just compressed case. Short and fat Flat shooting gun almost same ballistics as. 25-06 with less powder

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Cool looking round.
I do 204 for coyotes, 17 for fox.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United