Shooters or Hunter Hearing Protection

jacksimonton

There is a 2 part putty that molds to the ear canal that is available at many shooter supply houses. Fits your ears like no other. Works great and is reusable for years. Cost like 11-12 bucks. can't be beat.

It is also advisable to check the number of decibels being suppressed (higher the better). I believe that noise at about 105 decibels is damaging to hearing

• Like 1

I can relate.... F-4D's running up their engines and taking off right next to you doesn't help either:lol:

Edited by Sk8man
  • Like 1

Sk8man is correct. All reputable ear plugs or muffs will have a NRR (noise reduction rating) on them. The NRR is the amount of decibels that they suppress. Subtract the NRR from the actual noise level and that is what you are exposed to while wearing them. The higher the NRR the better. Anything around NRR 30-33 is a pretty good start for something that isn’t custom for you.

If you’re looking to measure noise levels, there is a free phone App called SLA Lite that you can download that does a pretty good job.

Everyone should protect themself from noise. Hearing loss sneaks up on you and is permanent.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Sk8man said:

It is also advisable to check the number of decibels being suppressed (higher the better). I believe that noise at about 105 decibels is damaging to hearing

It's not possible to measured the noise level all the time and then you wear an earplugs. If the level cross the normal level of hearing it may be harmful to our ear, ringing in the ear.

I wasn't suggesting that it is possible to measure the number of decibels all the time I was merely giving an idea of what is considered to be damaging to hearing (with the inference that a gunshot next to the ear probably exceeds that level). It isn't just "ringing in the ears" that is of concern it is the often gradual permanent  loss of hearing. My dad was a turret gunner on a B-24 Liberator bomber during world was II and his hearing was drastically affected by the noise and it plagued him for the rest of his life so I take it rather seriously and I always wear protection while shooting.

Edited by Sk8man

The Walker Game Ears are the ****. They cut out sound after a certain decibel. I highly recommend them. A little bulky and a little bit of a pain in the ass but it is well worth it (they fit easily into my hunting vest). I spent 9 years as a Sonar Technician on Submarines which allegedly means eventual hearing loss, so i take extra precautions. But the shots pretty much sound like a light "pop".

They also amplify sound up to that decibel cut off point which helps you hear things you would never hear without them, such as squirrels that now sound like deer and snow falling off trees and wind and running water, but most importantly they helped me hear other hunters doing deer drives on public land approaching well before i could ever hear them naturally.