20 Colors LC Set Up

mrk61

I would look into a copper set up to improve your ability to achieve depth. The weight of a 45# copper, even with the increased diameter, will allow you to achieve increased depths per the length of line out vs a 10+ color lead core.

11 hours ago, mrk61 said:

Is a 20 color LC set up worthwhile for trolling or do you reach a point where you can only get so deep that it becomes a waste to add any more than 10 colors?

Thanks-Mike

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Speed is the determining factor. Great action but at salmon speeds a 20 color is worthless for depth. Copper is the answer for depth.

• Like 1

Few years ago I played around with some hybrid lead core copper setups walleye fishing with 2 colors of lead attached to a short copper.  One of the goals was to make deployment of the copper quicker at the slower walleye speeds and easy pulling baits like worm harness.  It worked but I went back to lead core as it was easier to deal with.  I would agree with Legacy that at salmon speed and salmon baits that copper is the answer to achieve depth vs long lead core.

Thanks for the feedback fellas! Here’s the deal, I’ve got copper pairs from 100’s up to 400’s then singles in 350, 450 and 500. Plus, LC pairs from 1-10 colors. I acquired 2 Saltist 50 LW and a Tekota 700 LW and am trying to figure out what to do with them! I also have 4 salmon Rigger Rods set up with Saltist 40’s so im set there as well! Also have 2 pair of wire diver rods so that base is covered!

Was an impulse buy on those 50’s and the 700, good deal I couldn’t pass up! [emoji16]

Lol I do none of it. No copper, no lead core. 2 down, 2 dipsy and or 2 boards.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

You'll have to see it done. Full guns. Not many boats running more junk than me out there.

Sent from my moto z4 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

40 minutes ago, whaler1 said:

Lol I do none of it. No copper, no lead core. 2 down, 2 dipsy and or 2 boards.

What do you normally run on your boards? That's where my 10 colours go if I have a third person on board but I do all a can to ignore it until someone else grabs it. I like 2 riggers 2 dipsey even If allowed more lines sometimes I think less can be more. I fun fished with 2 guys that normally charter last year and even tho we could have run 6 lines we ran 4 and were kept very busy. At one point  my buddy put out 2 big mast boards with no lines on them when I asked what was up he said that just gives us a bit more room. Sorry for taking the thread off course but kinda bored and hate winter.

Edited by horsehunter
  • Like 1

What do you normally run on your boards? That's where my 10 colours go if I have a third person on board but I do all a can to ignore it until someone else grabs it. I like 2 riggers 2 dipsey even If allowed more lines sometimes I think less can be more. I fun fished with 2 guys that normally charter last year and even tho we could have run 6 lines we ran 4 and were kept very busy. At one point the my buddy put out 2 big mast boards with no lines on them when I asked what was up he said that just gives us a bit more room. Sorry for taking the thread off course but kinda bored and hate winter.

Why not just add some snap weights with some reasonable level of lead, torpedo weights?

• Like 1

What do you normally run on your boards? That's where my 10 colours go if I have a third person on board but I do all a can to ignore it until someone else grabs it. I like 2 riggers 2 dipsey even If allowed more lines sometimes I think less can be more. I fun fished with 2 guys that normally charter last year and even tho we could have run 6 lines we ran 4 and were kept very busy. At one point the my buddy put out 2 big mast boards with no lines on them when I asked what was up he said that just gives us a bit more room. Sorry for taking the thread off course but kinda bored and hate winter.

Why not just add some snap weights with some reasonable level of lead, torpedo weights?

33 minutes ago, luv2rapala said:

My boat is only 18 feet so I prefer 4 rods ( Canada ) and 2 guys if I was going to run another line i think it would be a wire thumper down the chute. My boards both mast and inline are used mostly early spring for lakers and for me elusive browns and from Sept on for St Lowrance muskies

Edited by horsehunter

I used to run 20 color leadcore on Keuka Lake. Not one but 2 lines and it was a royal mess. About half the time the lines would get tangled up. Besides, you get to the point where the water resistance of the line neutralizes the the sink rate and it does not go any deeper no matter how long your lines are. If you think that a copper line bird's nest is bad, try a leadcore bird's nest and you will long for copper.

What I did find is that when using live bait, the trolling speed becomes much less important and greater depth can be achieved by slowing down and speeding up. This really works great with leadcore because the large diameter allows for slow sinking which gives great presentation.

Edited by rolmops

On 12/23/2019 at 11:14 AM, greenboatluke said:

Weird thought... Has anyone ever attached 2,3 or 4 colors to say 300 (or so) copper to achieve depth and get the action of the lead core? Would it even work? Sort of like using a SWR on a downrigger.

Not a weird thought at all. All of my coppers have 2 colors in them. It really helps rookies set coppers and, I believe, imparts a more desirable action to my coppers.

• Like 1

All of this goes to prove that sports fishing is not an exact science, but an experimental playground where opinion and wishful thinking make for lots of daydreams and great fun.Keep at it !

• Like 1

While we’re on the subject of copper, I tried putting 500’ of 45# copper on a Seagate 60. I used 50# PP backing and spooled on the equivalent of 75 passes of the level wind guide. By time I was done, the reel was well beyond capacity, so much so that the last 30-40’ of copper was very difficult to reel in. Any suggestions out there for a different reel better suited for a 500 and even a 550 and 600 copper?
Thanks again!