Marathon Florida in March

whaler1

march is funky.  Flats will definitely one of our trips.  Dont think I will book anything in advance, can be really windy that time of year.  Love catching bonefish, Tarpon would be awesome but not sure if the water will be warm enough.

look up florida keys vacation getaway he will put you on fish.  big into the cobia, kigs, wahoo, sails. tuna.  and will take u snorkeling for lobster if its open!  has a place to stay and his new boat is  freaking awesome cc with quad 350s!   im sure  if you want to do inshore stuff he has a smaller boat he could take you out on also!    

• Like 1

March will most likely be iffy for tarpon. Backcountry should be on fire. Check out Florida sportsman on line keys section for good info. AOK and piner wahoo are both well thought of on that board but book quickly. If you can rent a kayak put in around duck key or Anne’s beach. Channel 2 is a good very productive area.

Wind will be your biggest issue, March is super windy.

Best of luck,

Andiamo Outdoors

716-998-3358

• Like 1

I moved from WNY to Marathon in the middle of the 2015 Salmon season.  March is a great month for night time snapper fishing in the Gulf, yellowtail on the reef, some Wahoo if you are here on the full moon and BFT if it is calm enough for the boat you are chartering to get you to the humps.  Sails can be off the chain in the rough water as well.  Tarpon is iffy at best, but we always have some around.  April/May is the best time for both them and Permit.

I run a fish for fun charter service here and do not "fish hunt" (take you out to catch a specific type of fish). Neither my schedule nor my boat allow me to adequately or honestly do that.  There are captains that can get you what you want on any given day, Josh Artis, Brian Cone, Delph, Scott Walker....ect.  Beware there are many that take tourist fishing and promise you anything and then leave you with a story of why it just was not that day.  I have even had captains run out of hooks for the species we were after and that was a $1200 trip. This is where honesty of a captains skill level comes into play.  If you do book, insist on fishing with the captain who is the owner of the company.  

Finally, waiting till you get down here may NOT be the best idea. March is spring break month and it can be a busy charter season.  I fished 5 charters last week and have three to run before the end of the year.  Then I'm taking  a couple of weeks off.  We do that down here as the season is long and we just don't like to work too much here in the Islands. 

I have 6 days and a few additional evenings available in March.  My website is www.foodchainfishing.com if you would like to see what I offer.  You will find that I offer a guided trip for just a little bit more than renting a boat and doing it on your own.   

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

What Captain Carl Said.If you can get out to the Marathon hump (weather permitting) Black fin tuna are a blast also some good dolphin can be caught in that area also.I have fished the humps 7 or 8 times in March on a friends boat and catching Black Fins was some of the most memorable fishing I have ever done. Flat lining under the Frigate birds diving with flying fish boiling out of the water with tunas chasing them is hard to beat in my book.Tunas fight hard taste great and are easy to catch.

Edited by Sean Youngblood
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
I’m headed down soon and will be there for around a month. Going to be fishing with Mr Walleye. He’s had good fishing for snapper this week and also caught some other species.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

IMG_0473.JPGIMG_0472.JPG
A couple of Mr Walleyes recent catches.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

This morning on George Poveromos salt water fishing show he fished out of Marathon in April.He fished near water for Snapper.Then fished offshore and got some Black fins,Dolphins.and a couple of nice Wahoo while fishing the hump.It was a good show.

• 1 month later...

Maybe you should have fished first. If they saw what swims in them waters they might not have wanted to go diving. lol                                                                                                 Enjoy Good Luck