Marathon Florida in March

whaler1

Made it out to the hump yesterday, rough morning, didn’t think we would get out there.
Brought home a limit of black fin tuna, fantastic trip. IMG_0428.JPGIMG_1068.JPGIMG_1070.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

• Like 5

Flying home in the morning. Sounds like my work is imposing a minimum of a one week quarantine, possibly two for anyone that has traveled by air. Might as well make the best of it, will be spending some time at the creeks and piers.

Black fin are delicious. I don't know how well they freeze, but I'm sure that the captain provided you with the best method. I love fresh tuna; not so much frozen. But just about any saltwater fish has it over freshwater, even the best of them IMHO.

I may need to get some recommendations from you for next year. See you at the creek.

They were awesome fresh last night on the grill. Captain suggested NOT to rinse with fresh water prior to freezing.
Bringing a bunch home as well as mangrove snapper fillets.

In March, charter boats from Oregon Inlet NC. take you out 40 miles to the Gulf Stream where the tuna are migrating to the north for the summer. Groups of six guys chip in together for the trip. They usually return with 1200 pounds of tuna which is packed and frozen at a commercial fish company for your trip home and your years fish supply. Check out fishing from Wanchese, NC.

Tuna offshore, 11 hour trip for up to six fishermen, Gulf Stream where the water is steaming and full of tuna in March.

Edited by jimski2

But it’s bluefin which tastes horrible.
Blackfin, yellowfin and albacore are the only ones worth eating unless you’re a cat.

• Like 1

That’s awesome! He said he was going last night, was thinking about it when I drove by the marina at midnight on my way to the airport.
Tried to book a night trip with him but the tides were off.
He had to have been in cloud nine. Always awesome to meet someone with so much passion.
Learned today I can’t go back to work for two weeks. Nothing to do with my health, just a new policy for people that have traveled where I work. Have to figure out how to make the best of it!