Niagara bar area

I'm looking to make my first trip out west this spring. I usually fish out of Oswego but but want to experience some of this legendary spring fishing I hear about. Any recommendations on launching and accommodations would be great. Thanks to all also what time spring is best to be out there

Sent from my SM-A505U using Lake Ontario United mobile app

The Bar fishing turns on best when the ice fields on Lake Erie melt off. Then warm waters from western Ohio waters are blown down to the Buffalo end and turn the cold Lake Ontario waters temperatures up. Plankton accompanies the warmer water, bait closes in and the good fishing begins there. Study the Lake Ontario surface water temperatures all along the south shore in the spring and  concentrate there. You may fish in as little as ten foot of water then. Colored water on the surface holds fish in the shade there. 

We live here. Our favorite place to launch is Fort Niagara state park. Its right at the mouth of the river. The red can is an important waypoint to put in your GPS. Its due north of river mouth about 3 miles in 45 fow. Go  due north of the can and it drops quickly to 200 fow. We call that the dropoff. Great spring salmon fishing can be had around the red can.Sometimes its better to the east, other days its better to the west. Canadian border is about 2 miles west of the can. Lots of east to west and west to east trolling in this area.Some days kings will be in 50-70 fow. Other days could be in 80-110 fow. We mostly run spoons and flasher flies. Some guys are running cut bait too.LOC spring derby is a great time to fish this area. You can also launch at Olcott or Wilson but they are 12-18 miles east of the river.You could also launch at  Lewiston which is a 7 mile boat ride up river from the mouth. Great little motel there called The Riverside  Motel. Also don't forget knee high boots in case of high water at the launch.Good luck !!

• Like 3

Lakeview motel is right on 18 between the river launch and Wilson launch and they are fishermen friendly with ample boat parking. Easy drive to river, Wilson, or olcott. May is usually great for the bar. Above posts are spot on for starting points....but always keep an open mind and look for current reports when u go. Bait shops...creek road bait and tackle near river. Olcott has boat doctors. Not sure if slippery sinker is open. Asb tackle in newfane. Food. Wilson...down on main street for breakfast/lunch. T and r convenience store for reasonable pizza/ hogies. Matty's for better hogies...ribs...wings. Wilson house for sit down/drinks. Also a grocery store and dollar store in wilson.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

At the risk of sounding like a buzz killer, just approach fishing out here with your eyes wide open. This isn't anything like a 'sure bet'. The currents and fish mood can be quite fickle and just because you put a lot of time and energy (and expense) into getting out here, doesn't mean that the fishing won't still be tough. Just didn't want you to have unrealistic expectations that's all.

The one thing I would say is don't be dead set on just fishing the bar. While the bar can be awesome Wilson and Olcott can be just as good. Last year the water on the bar was ice cold and the fishing wasn't that great while Wilson was on fire. I did a couple charters during the spring and summer LOC. He was out of wilson and I asked about the bar and I was told that he hadn't had a need to go up there. Just my 2 cents for whatever it's worth

Sent from my SM-G892A using Lake Ontario United mobile app

• Like 1