How often should I replace my mono? Every year?

I like to replace my line each year. It is the least expensive equipment of all when you figure

boat, rod, reels, downrigger, etc. Yet the line can be the most important part. I don't like to

take a chance. When I was running charters would change 2-3 times a year.

just my 2 cents for what it is worth.

8 hours ago, Bustersit said:

I am wondering what is the frequency of respooling new mono for my downrigger reels. I was out two times a week last year from May to Sept on average. Have been storing all my gear in the basement.

Thanks,

Tim

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Honestly every few years would be fine. I tend to do it when I start to notice spools arent as full as they should be. Its mono, its cheap piece of mind.

Two things that affect mono are sunlight and heat. If your rods are stored in a cool dry place between trips you could get a few years. If your rods sit in rocket launchers all summer at the marina you may not get a season. Mono affected by sunlight or heat will loose it's shine and in extreem cases become chalky. If I was in a big money tournament ( which I'm not ) I might respool every day. Now the question becomes how often do you change the mono backer on your cores. I guess it comes down to how things are stored. If my rods are stored in my basement what is gained from respooling from the same bulk spool as is on the reel if it isn't otherwise damaged.. Buy your line from somewhere that sells lots and dosen't have sunlight streaming through the window on it.

Anyone use braid on a rigger rod?

On 1/2/2020 at 9:21 AM, horsehunter said:

Two things that affect mono are sunlight and heat. If your rods are stored in a cool dry place between trips you could get a few years. If your rods sit in rocket launchers all summer at the marina you may not get a season. Mono affected by sunlight or heat will loose it's shine and in extreem cases become chalky. If I was in a big money tournament ( which I'm not ) I might respool every day. Now the question becomes how often do you change the mono backer on your cores. I guess it comes down to how things are stored. If my rods are stored in my basement what is gained from respooling from the same bulk spool as is on the reel if it isn't otherwise damaged.. Buy your line from somewhere that sells lots and dosen't have sunlight streaming through the window on it.

Some real good advice right there.

It is a good question and although i haven't seen any data on it I would suspect that it would be adversely affected by heat and sunlight (esp UV rays) and this would likely be true for nearly type of line that I know of unless specially coated perhaps. Even the color on some of the braid lines bleaches in the sun and weakens..

When I am putting stuff together to fish, I check my mono by pulling out a bunch, like 30-50 or so feet onto a clean floor. I then reel it back up pinching it between my thumb and pointer finger. If when the mono is all reeled back up, I have a collection of white chalk on my fingers where I pinched it, it is time to change it. If it is clean, I run it.

Sent from my moto z3 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

4 minutes ago, guffins fisherman said:

When I am putting stuff together to fish, I check my mono by pulling out a bunch, like 30-50 or so feet onto a clean floor. I then reel it back up pinching it between my thumb and pointer finger. If when the mono is all reeled back up, I have a collection of white chalk on my fingers where I pinched it, it is time to change it. If it is clean, I run it.

Sent from my moto z3 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Add to that checking for abrasions the same way and re-tying existing knots.

• 3 weeks later...

You should pull off 150' and reel back thru fingers to check for chaff/nicks.  If you run wire divers there will be evidence of mono and wire getting together.  I change my Big Game mono every year.  

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Depends on use, I'd say every 3 or so years.  But you'll feel it, the texture gets a bit rough, and it starts looking frosty/opaque ... that's when you definitely know it's time.

Just getting back to the Great Lakes after years away. What lines you guys run for Kings?

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

I re-spool by testing the line about 10' from the fluorocarbon to mono knot. If I can wrap a bunch around a screwdriver handle and pull with all my strength and it doesn't break I wait another and check again next year.

17 hours ago, tim said:

Just getting back to the Great Lakes after years away. What lines you guys run for Kings?

30# mono ... keeps the fleas off, and still a nice diameter to tie knots with.  But generally if going to spoons, we would put on a 15# to 20# fluoro leader around 15' to 20' long.

Dipseys, need braid or wire to the dipsey.  After that we generally tie 30# or 40# fluoro from dipsey to paddle and paddle to fly. Total length from dipsey to fly is around 8 to 10'.

30# mono ... keeps the fleas off, and still a nice diameter to tie knots with.  But generally if going to spoons, we would put on a 15# to 20# fluoro leader around 15' to 20' long.
Dipseys, need braid or wire to the dipsey.  After that we generally tie 30# or 40# fluoro from dipsey to paddle and paddle to fly. Total length from dipsey to fly is around 8 to 10'.

Thanks no good ice around sleds going through I get all my reels ready thanks again.