I have a new ride, any suggestions on setting it up are welcome.

Eyecatcher23

I’m in the process of setting up my new boat. I’m have a pretty good idea of how I want to set it up from hours of sitting in the old one and thinking. But you never know what you miss in planning, or don’t know exists equipment wise. I fish for walleyes 95% of the time. I pull harnesses on bottom bouncers 80% of that time, crankbaits on in-line boards once in awhile, and Jig and live bait fish the rest.

I’ll try to put a list together of the add ons I’ve done so far, or the ones I’m planning to accomplish before ice out, and I’ve attached pics of the layout.

What I have done:
- Ulterra 112lb 36v trolling motor mounted on the bow.

- 3 group 31 agm batteries and a 3 bank charger mounted under step between consoles

-2 group 31 agm batteries mounted in the transom w/ switch

What I have, but haven’t installed it yet:
-2 24” Cisco tracks for transom -2 48” Cisco tracks for gunnels -2 24” Cisco tracks for bow
-2 4” bert’s downrigger pedestals w/ cannon swivel bases w/ mag10’s

-2 Cannon dual axis rod holders - 6 Bert’s ratcheting rod holders

- 2 high seas adjustable rod trees

- Humminbird helix9 si

-Mercury kicker 9.9

-pedestal base for bow mounted remote controlled spotlight

-Gunnel mounted LED bars for night fishing

What I need to purchase:

- 1-2 fishfinders I’m planning on either mounting my current 9si on the dash and mounting a 12 on the stern for trolling, or mounting a 7 on the dash and 2 9’s on the stern(one for sonar, one for mapping)

-Ethernet connections and mounting configurations for said sonar (I was thinking ballzout for dash and a ram swing arm for transom)

- I had a trolling plate on my old boat. It worked great for one purpose, slowing the boat down when going with the wind with the electric trolling motor when it was nasty. I really don’t want to drill this new motor, and the offshore bracket probably makes deploying it kind of tricky. I’d like to get trolling bags for this purpose, and was looking at the Amish 15” version. Thoughts?

- a quick connect for the live well filler to turn it into a wash down pump (it was a $1000 option, a little rich for my blood) I’ll probably just make this myself, but if anyone has any ideas or know of a commercial kit of some sort I’m all ears.
Any ideas, or suggestions are appreciated!

I’m trying to do it right, but not break the bank. It’s going to be a great boat to fish out of, but if I go full bore I’ll be sleeping in it as well.

82CDD1B8-CD60-4AF5-A7BB-6EFB8D3EAE7A.jpeg

F872B112-E0E5-4E8E-8599-03456D08F82D.jpeg

B6BD63F8-4C4B-4708-B977-252922C819EC.jpeg

DB6E84CC-ACA8-45DA-AE6D-671887E1E0AD.jpeg

3F558608-B54E-43E9-9AB4-BEC1B3CD480C.jpeg

B326CFDA-B197-4C24-9AF5-A48F12AD4F61.jpeg

Question: just wondering why would you need trolling bags if you have a Merc 9.9 kicker and an electric motor? I should think also you will need some sort of throttle control and steering hookup for the kicker especially mounted directly to the rear platform

Edited by Sk8man

I mainly use the minn Kota for pulling harnesses, and only use the kicker when using the downriggers or when more speed/power is needed. I always locked it into position and steered with the trolling motor on my old boat, it worked well, and I planned to do the same with the new one.

I probably don’t “need” them, but it was just so easy to slow down the boat and troll (actually more of a controlled drift) with the wind then fighting it with the kicker on snotty days.

27 minutes ago, horsehunter said:

Beautiful boat what it needs is it's first scratch then you can fish it hard like it needs to be fished without concern

Whats the overall length I'm guessing that bracket makes it fish bigger than 18.5 feet

It’s 20.5 to the end of the bracket. It’ll be fished hard, I don’t abuse anything, but I don’t baby it either.

• Like 1

Regarding the wash down - I bought a 6-7’ section of 2” (I believe) flexible tubing from the hardware store. When I need to rinse the deck down I fit it over the livewell fill and let er rip (I’ve got a bow well and a stern well, which is convenient). It doesn’t have a ton of pressure, but it’s enough to rinse the blood off in a pinch if you fit your thumb over the end of the tubing.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

• Thanks 1

If you go with Amish bags, an added bonus I’ve found is that they cause your boat to “sit” in the water better when it’s snotty out. I feel that they seem to help with pitching and rolling. I run 15” (or 18” can’t recall) on my 18.5’ trophy.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Big Spoon said:

Regarding the wash down - I bought a 6-7’ section of 2” (I believe) flexible tubing from the hardware store. When I need to rinse the deck down I fit it over the livewell fill and let er rip (I’ve got a bow well and a stern well, which is convenient). It doesn’t have a ton of pressure, but it’s enough to rinse the blood off in a pinch if you fit your thumb over the end of the tubing.

Thanks! I plan on doing something similar. I was thinking about putting a quick connect on the filler to switch it out, but just sticking the hose on might be just as effective and easier.

I have a 2019 thunderjet Luxor. If you want a washdown I think there is a fitting between the livewell pump and the intake that you can use to plumb the washdown off the same intake. Also if you remove the step you can pull the panel out I put a platform under the bow for my trolling motor batteries. Nice color.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, t-van said:

I have a 2019 thunderjet Luxor. If you want a washdown I think there is a fitting between the livewell pump and the intake that you can use to plumb the washdown off the same intake. Also if you remove the step you can pull the panel out I put a platform under the bow for my trolling motor batteries. Nice color.

Wow! That would solve a lot of my storage problems, I’ll look at it when I get home from work. Do you remember how involved it was? Just screwed in, or would it involve a sawzall?

On 1/9/2020 at 6:13 AM, t-van said:

There’s just enough room for three batteries in there. Thanks! Ordering some 90 degree aluminum stock to make a bracket out of now. I would have never thought of it without the help! 

DFE7F7D8-CA74-4882-8FA1-C20FAF44CEF1.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Monroe1600 said:

Nice boat can't wait to swap fishing reports every morning on onieda at AFC when you come In.

I doubt I’ll have a better handle on fish location and preference than you, but your always welcome to any ideas I have! Lord knows you put us on fish more than a few times. See you at docks in.