Saltist 40 for wire

Is anybody using the Daiwa saltist 40 for wire . Last year I upgraded my trolling reels to Daiwa saltist 40s with 30lb mono for my downrigger rods and saltist 30s for wire. I find the 30s to be a bit small for the 10 foot rod. Is anybody using the forties with backing and wire for wire dipsies . I'm thinking of getting the 40's for wire and putting the 30s on my medium power spoon rods. Thanks to all

Sent from my SM-A505U using Lake Ontario United mobile app

• Like 1

Don't get me wrong I love the reel and the drag is fantastic. Absolutely love my forties on my downrigger rods. It just feels awkward with it being a smaller reel on a large rod. I think it would be fantastic on an 8-foot rod.

Definitely a clunky reel. That is why you see more Tekotas as wire reels

Clunky??? Pretty funny that you buy a 180-200$ reel and have to send them away to get redragged!!! My Saltists are still going strong and have had them since they came
out. I went to 40’s on my salmon rigger rods and also my wire rods, love them!!!! Line pick up is fast, and the power handles are awesome!!! Run my 30’s for braid, longer cores and I will be setting up a couple lite wires this year!!! You can’t go wrong!!!

Capt Rich!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Just stating facts Gill, sorry you thought you needed to clarify. But i guess if you know how to use them, then they wouldn’t dig into your wrist. Most of clients actually use it to their advantage. Oh well to each their own, if you don’t like them I will take them off your hands.

Capt Rich.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

On 1/3/2020 at 6:34 PM, fishinfreak said:

Don't get me wrong I love the reel and the drag is fantastic. Absolutely love my forties on my downrigger rods. It just feels awkward with it being a smaller reel on a large rod. I think it would be fantastic on an 8-foot rod.

Go to a 8ft for wires and you won't regret it. We did last year and they worked out great for us.