Leadcore off releases

Hey guys, I’m fairly new to salmon fishing and am rigging up a few new rods for this year. I was going to add some leadcore lines to my spread and thinking of rigging two 10 colors up. Does anyone have a trick to clipping leadcore on planer releases? Say I want to only run 3 colors out. Can I clip it at that point?

I’ve read in the past that it’s not a good idea but I’m not sure I buy it.. any help would be appreciated. 

we did it for years with offshore pinch pad releases. over multiple years of use you do get some wear on the lead core. we went to rubber bands last year have been happy with that half hitch around the lead clip band into release. sometimes the band will break sometimes it pulls out of the release. most guys do segmented lead cores to me that's a lot of knots to have in 1 line but it works.

Rubber bands are the way to go. ANY knot such as between segments is a potential weakness in a setup so to the degree you can eliminate them you're probably ahead of the game:smile:

Edited by Sk8man

Some companies don't list size and some bands of similar size are stronger than others. You may want to go to a place like Staples where they have various standard sizes and try out the breaking strength of some different bands. Something around 3 lbs breaking strength usually works. I have used an inexpensive  digital luggage scale to get a handle on the breaking strength.

Edited by Sk8man

You could splice sections of mono into your leadcore and then have something to attach to your releases. Personally I think the more knots you add the more potential for failures you have so I prefer to run dedicated setups, but many people run segmented leadcore. I have acquired enough rod/reels over the years to have dedicated setups. I have 2,3,5,7,10 color leadcore setups, seems to cover just about everything I need. 

Another option to get different depths from a lead core rod is to use a shorter length of lead core- 3 or 5 colors are both good choices- then use snap weights or dive bombs to achieve different depths.  This option has a couple advantages over putting 10 colors on a reel and letting out less of the lead core to achieve shallower depths.  First a short core can go on a smaller reel than a 10 color.  Second you will have all the lead in water getting you away from the sag/drag of lead core from board to rod and the added wear on the lead core.  Mono backer or braid is a better choice in that rod to board connection than lead core.  The only thing you need to store on boat is a small box of snap weights and some releases or rubber bands.  Many times there are different ways to get the result you want.

Another option to get different depths from a lead core rod is to use a shorter length of lead core- 3 or 5 colors are both good choices- then use snap weights or dive bombs to achieve different depths.  This option has a couple advantages over putting 10 colors on a reel and letting out less of the lead core to achieve shallower depths.  First a short core can go on a smaller reel than a 10 color.  Second you will have all the lead in water getting you away from the sag/drag of lead core from board to rod and the added wear on the lead core.  Mono backer or braid is a better choice in that rod to board connection than lead core.  The only thing you need to store on boat is a small box of snap weights and some releases or rubber bands.  Many times there are different ways to get the result you want.

This is something I’ve wanted to experiment with but hard to guess depths. How do you guage what depths you’re achieving ? Say 5 colour then a 2oz?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lots of variables here-trolling speed, line diameter, lure type etc etc.  Unless you have smart troll or fish hawk td to measure it becomes a guess.  I’d say the old 5’ depth per color of lead core and 5’ of depth per oz. weight would get somewhat close especially at 2 mph or under.  Over 2 mph I’d shade it shallower and the same goes for more length and more weight.  Most of the time you’ll let the fish tell you what they want.  To me most of the time “junk” lines like lead core run higher than what you might think and what printed dive curves say.  Using a rough formula is most helpful in setting your spread and preventing tangles.  If it works then you can repeat.

You can get a close approximation by getting yourself a Fishhawk TD and attaching it to your leadcore line with and without the weight at the desired speed and record down what it says for depths for the given speeds you wish to troll at with an "average" lure and you'll have a pretty good approximation. As mentioned there are also additional variables like speed variations, waves, current etc. too  which may affect things but it is better than a pure "guesstimate".

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, MINNOWNITE said:

how much line do you leave between the segments?

Long enough to be able to clip on planer board release. Or enough to clip on an in-line planer, 18-24” of mono is enough to cover both situations.

Edited by FishingFool34