Lower Niagara Drift Tackle for Salmon and Trout

Hey all-

Looking for rod and reel to use on lower niagara for both salmon and trout. I will be running a standard 3 way swivel with either a bead, sac, kwikfish, or minnow. Question is, i’ll be using probably a 1oz or even 1.5oz pencil lead on a rod that’s only rated for a 3/4 oz lure. i know that’s for actually throwing a lure (which i won’t be doing) but, i feel like that amount of weight will be too much for the rod.

any input is appreciated, would love to hear what rod’s you all use for similar applications

thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

We use the same rod and reel we use to cast for bass and pike. I like a 7' med or med-heavy rod with fast action. As far as reels go it really personal preference. I personally like the bait casting reels I find it easier to bring the weight up and down with the depths. We usually are using 2 or 3 oz weights depending what part of the river are fishing. The qwikfish do work but it seems that the maglips have worked better of late. The best piece of advice I can give you is do a charter and/or go the the fishing expo and do 1 of the seminars for the lower river. I can tell you that it is well worth the money. I have done a few. In between the charters and Salmon School the last few yrs my learning curve got a whole lot smaller. With that being said you are always learning things. I can tell you that you are in the right place for help. Best group of guys that aren't going to bs you. Good luck

Sent from my SM-G892A using Lake Ontario United mobile app

We use the same rod and reel we use to cast for bass and pike. I like a 7' med or med-heavy rod with fast action. As far as reels go it really personal preference. I personally like the bait casting reels I find it easier to bring the weight up and down with the depths. We usually are using 2 or 3 oz weights depending what part of the river are fishing. The qwikfish do work but it seems that the maglips have worked better of late. The best piece of advice I can give you is do a charter and/or go the the fishing expo and do 1 of the seminars for the lower river. I can tell you that it is well worth the money. I have done a few. In between the charters and Salmon School the last few yrs my learning curve got a whole lot smaller. With that being said you are always learning things. I can tell you that you are in the right place for help. Best group of guys that aren't going to bs you. Good luck

Awesome, thanks for quick reply. so, you don’t necessarily have to have a rod that’s lure rate matches your weight?

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

As long as it has a good backbone u should be ok. On the charters I have been on I believe they were just med rods. I like my med-heavy rods. For me it's more about the just in case moments. They are some people the have hook into a musky down there. When u are drifting u want your line in as much of a 90° as u can and the weight just ticking along the bottom.