New Gun laws getting voted on tomorrow in NY

On 1/11/2020 at 6:47 AM, Gator said:

From what I can tell, this appears to be in Codes Committee rather than passed. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

And it's more insidious than it appears (if that's possible). You'd have to buy a hunting license in order to purchase a gun. But in order to buy a hunting license you'd have to provide a bunch of proofs, as well as documentation that you'd purchased a gun safe that can't be opened without a key. So, they're tying gun control to the honest sportsman, and to my eye, this means that all of the stuff that they're trying to apply to gun purchases would also apply to Grandpa when he goes to renew his hunting license. Am I wrong? The language reads, 

"NO HUNTING LICENSE FOR THE PURCHASE OF A
RIFLE OR SHOTGUN SHALL BE ISSUED EXCEPT FOR AN APPLICANT:"

But how do they tell when you're purchasing a license whether you intend to use it to purchase a gun? So, everything will apply to anybody who wants to hunt. This looks like an all-out assault in sportsmen, not criminals. What a joke. Common sense gun legislation my a$$

How would this work if you have lifetime license?

The requirement that a fire arm purchaser have a hunting license reveals a complete ignorance of the reason for the second amendment on the part of the bill's sponsor(s).  A "well regulated militia" is what threw King George out when he became too tyrannical.  While your .30-.06, or even an AK, are hardly going to win out over an A-10, the opportunity to fight tyranny is still there.  Totally disarmed, like the German and Poles under the Nazis, not so much.  Hun ting, and personal protection, are just side benefits of the amendment.

I would hope that even the Emperor would be able to see that the court challenges to much of this will result in declarations of unconstitutionality and involve great expense to the state, and will not sign them to save some money.

Edited by Lucky13

You know the more I think about this I wonder whether they don't really expect this to be implemented but don't have any real answers to the problems so if it is thrown out they can say "Hey we tried to pass stricter controls but it was defeated not our fault that this violence continues unabated and more mass shootings have happened - it was the NRA and all the "gun nuts" out there so in love with their guns". Either way they get a "pass" and are not accountable to the public in any way shape or form. Sad state of affairs really.

Edited by Sk8man

There is no way this is going anywhere, but they are showing their cards. All it takes is an event to happen that creates an emotional frenzy for something like this to pass in the heat of the moment. I'll say it again, the events unfolding with the Sheriffs and their 2nd Amendment sanctuary counties in Virginia is quite the foreshadowing for things to come nationwide if you ask me. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Reportedly 6 billion short. If any business operated like NYS with the Emperor for a CEO it would have been defunct a long time ago.

I'm curious as to how the rest of NY would be, primarily financially, if NYC would just go away and be it's own little state.  Does anyone have any references as to how much tax revenue from NYC is used outside of NYC?  And how much tax revenue from outside NYC STAYS outside NYC?

I'm curious as to how the rest of NY would be, primarily financially, if NYC would just go away and be it's own little state.  Does anyone have any references as to how much tax revenue from NYC is used outside of NYC?  And how much tax revenue from outside NYC STAYS outside NYC?

I’ve looked it up in the past. We’d be free of downstate politics but we’d be a relatively poor state with minimal representation at the federal level.

It would definitely be win some, lose some.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Bill is in committee and hasn't been voted on. I sent a message to Senator Akshar and this was his reply.

Thanks for your feedback on these bills, Charlie.

There's no similar bill in the Assembly for S.1412 which is necessary for passage into law.

However, the Democrats control both houses in the Legislature so we'll have to keep an eye on it moving forward.

I appreciate your advocacy here and you can count on my continued opposition here.

One thing I pointed out was that insurance wouldn't cover a psychological evaluation of a drug test if they weren't medically necessary so a person would be at least $600 out of pocket before buying a gun. 

This bill is from the same guy that wanted you to give them your passwords so they can check your social media accounts too.

Edited by Charlie P

I wasn't sure about Buffalo, but I have some statistics that we use for justifying a STEM outreach program aimed at RCSD third graders suggesting Rochester is actually the poorest city in the nation, at least if you look at the percentage of students who qualify for free lunches and limit it to the city proper, in it's entirety. There are areas of LA and such that are more economically-deprived, but most cities balance those areas with affluent sections, whereas Rochester is...stressed. Working with those kids is a real eye opener.