I have a tendency to fish marks over temperature. Am i wrong? I still catch fish but i have a habit of not even really paying attention to my rigger counters until i get bit then i duplicate. But 80% of time i watch my graph and drop to fish off my graph. It seems fish will come up and down a long way to check out my presentation. Some hit some will check out all 3 riggers then leave or follow for a long time. 

Fish the marks and use the speed and temp unit for repeatability.  If you stick strictly to temp, you will have some days that could have been way better!! 

Edited by GAMBLER

No Probe No Problem fish the marks and judge speed with your cables.

I attended a presentation about the feeding of the transmitter implanted Kings and it seems they do a lot of feeding at the 60 foot level even when out of temperature. I usually have a rigger at 60 feet and it is often the most active.

Edited by horsehunter

2 hours ago, horsehunter said:

No Probe No Problem fish the marks and judge speed with your cables.

I attended a presentation about the feeding of the transmitter implanted Kings and it seems they do a lot of feeding at the 60 foot level even when out of temperature. I usually have a rigger at 60 feet and it is often the most active.

I have the probe use more for speed. If i see fish repeatedly at 70 i put by ball right on that depth off the screen instead of counters. 

Temp is overrated IMO. 

I start my probe rigger , usually a flasher , at 48 to 50 deg to start  . Then fish my other rigs above and below that . 

And , I fish the marks. Did great doing that for many years before a fish  hawk 

• Thanks 1

Marks on fishfinders can be interesting to interpret.  If I was seeing a lot of marks like the one on the left and the center, I'd check the angle that the transducer makes to the water level as my boat sits on the water.  Thinking that it was tipped backwards too far.  I'm having trouble visualizing in 3-D how a fish can be first seen in the cone shallow then go deeper.  (unless he was dive-bombing towards the center of the cone)  If tipped too far backwards then the first two fish could have been swimming horizontally but perpendicular away from your boat. (hence further out of the cone)  If a perfectly vertical cone passes over a stationary fish, it will show up deeper then appear shallower then deeper again.  Like an inverted arch. (checkmark).  If he was coming up from the bottom then the mark would start deep then go shallower. i.e mark sloped the other way than on your screen.  Someone help me on this?

Also remember that length of the mark does not necessarily mean length of fish, rather it means he spent a longer time in the cone. i.e. the one on the right was probably a follower. 

Yes im tilted back a 16th there hard mounted ducers so i cant push forward. I dont get arces like a garmen or  fureno. But really dont care. I can see them dive or rise. And i can see my balls and if im going to fast the balls start coming out of the cone. I can bump down my tr1 and they come back into view. 

IMG_00881.jpg

If you know how a depth finder works , you would understand more of what you see . 

Those marks you see may be fish on the outside edge of your transducer cone . 

When I see hooks , those to me are inactive fish staying in your cone as you drive over them.  

My favorite thing is to see what I call slashes as these are fish swimming around , looking for bait. They are in and out of the cone fast . 

The distance to the outside edge of the cone is farther than  the distance directly below to a fish at the same depth . Thus the hook . 

If that makes any sense . 

It really should not matter if your transducer is tilted a little . 

• Like 1

Also, if you have a wide angle transducer cone , the bigger and more distinct the hooks will be as the fish will be in the cone longer and distance to fish on the outside compared to center is farther . 

A narrow cone the fish will be in the cone for shorter time , so a " flatter " Mark . And they are more accurate IMO. 

The above pic looks like a fish that came up and took a look or bumped your lure 

IF , IF ,you lure was at the outside edge of the cone . 

Otherwise , it was a fish you went over . 

The one above looks like a fish that came up to take a look , depending on lead . 

The first pick looks to me like fish that could have been spooked by the weight and dove a  bit . Or came in to take a look at aslider or stacked rigger  as those marks are above the ball . 

Could it be the same fish that came in to take a look , faded back , took a second look , then a third ? 

Hard to say for sure . 

On 1/9/2020 at 10:22 AM, phil2 said:

Like this pic i saw fish near bottom dropped my far side rigger to them while upper was getting followed.20190817_165601_HDR.thumb.jpg.3f5dcaa32b83212f99dfa70dcb97d73c.jpg