Mono - barrell swivel - mono leader - swivel - lure?

Leader question here. When tying my leaders I'm using a Barrell swivel to connect my mono line to my mono leader. Is this correct?

I have read about the Albright knot for mono to mono leader which would eliminate the Barrell swivel.

Second, and this question is regarding trolling for Kings. What size (possibly manufacturer) swivel is best for attaching spoons at the end of my mono leader?

Id like to get a system and stick with it for 2020 to make things easier.

Thanks again. So much incredible knowledge on this site I'm trying to fine tune the little things this winter.

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Mono to leader with barrel swivel it's fine some guys like to squeeze the end of the barrel swivels to oval shape so it goes through the eyelets a little easier.

Personally I like to use back to back uni knot Spro swivel snaps coastal snap or dual lock for leader to spoon .I use a Albright knot for leader to copper. Copper to backing .
You will have to experiment to find witch one works best for you . Tying knots to barrel swivels is pretty easy knot tying improved clinch knot.

Sent from my XT1609 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Yes, be sure to run a high quality ball bearing swivel between your main line and leader. Spoons and flashers to a lot of spinning and twisting that could weaken your line via line twist if you were to do a line-to-line connection.

On the business end, I generally run Spro Power Swivels w Coast Locks in sizes 2, 4 or 6 depending on what I’m running (meat rigs vs FF vs spoon). The smaller the better IMO

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

For spoons I like a ball bearing swivel between line and leader and a plain duolock snap for connecting the spoon although I do admit to occasionally using a snapswivel. My head always goes back to an article I read 40 years ago by Lou Eppinger  ( manufacturer of Daredevil )who said spoons are not designed to spin and to cut the swivel off the front of his lures. He said when they remove the swivel sales suffer but they work as they were supposed to with out.

7 hours ago, Bustersit said:

Leader question here. When tying my leaders I'm using a Barrell swivel to connect my mono line to my mono leader. Is this correct?

I have read about the Albright knot for mono to mono leader which would eliminate the Barrell swivel.

Second, and this question is regarding trolling for Kings. What size (possibly manufacturer) swivel is best for attaching spoons at the end of my mono leader?

Id like to get a system and stick with it for 2020 to make things easier.

Thanks again. So much incredible knowledge on this site I'm trying to fine tune the little things this winter.

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Yes, always swivels from mainline to leader. Can you get away with not using them? Yes but there is always a better way to do things. Swivels do a number of things for you... stronger connection, always provide for good knots no matter what size line you are using or type of line, assist in helping eliminating line twist, they act as a great catch for weeds, ect.

And always use premium swivels. Blood Run and Spro both offer some great options for insanely strong barrel swivels but in a small size. As for the business end Spro and DW offer some great choices for that. 

https://bloodruntackle.com/micro-swivel/

https://www.dreamweaverlures.com/product-category/accessories/terminal-tackle/

https://www.fishusa.com/SPRO-Power-Swivels-50-Pack?gclid=CjwKCAiAu9vwBRAEEiwAzvjq-4a3umk0GWJSJmJJO9udMsJMdNFHZ6vlXPYpZXZKLIjLmrPjWeGkEhoCkhcQAvD_BwE

https://www.fishusa.com/SPRO-Ball-Bearing-Swivels-wCoastlock-Snaps

To each his own I guess,

Never really saw the need as an Albright knot is very strong and can't remember it ever breaking. I use it for all my fishing tying 2 lines together . 0 problems . I trust my knots . The less to fail the better IMO . I figure if it ain't broke ,don't fix it .  I see no advantage. 

I use to use micro swivel for fly tippet and float fishing but one day I ran out  And was forced to use an Albright , and never went back . 

Line twist is never a problem for  me .Flashers come with  BB swivel and I have one on the rod so that's double protection.  

For my riggers I run the 30 # main and a 25 ft tippet of 17 or 20# which is my usual lead from release . 

Like most of this stuff there is no "right way" to do it merely a "preferred way". If you have faith in your knot after competently tying it and it works for you that is what is "best practice" for your own situation and that is why there are diverse responses to this issue. Its basically whatever you feel comfortable with and works for you. Always good to have "options".:smile: