Spot light placement

greenhornet73

With this mild weather I have been adding additions to my boat and stuck on where to mount a spotlight for navigation.  I often return back to the launch at night and want to have a permanent light mounted in the most effective spot.  I plan to have my T Top installed that already has a stern light but wondering if an overhead bow light would hinder more than help rather than a light placed below eye level?  Any thoughts on this?

Sometimes a light mounted above the windshield will give a glare. A buddy of mine did that and it was useless because you couldn't see a thing. I mounted my GOlight on the pulpit and it works great. I did get a little glare off the bow rail but I just painted a section of it flat black. I had to fabricate a aluminum mounting block to get the light above the anchor which is also on the pulpit.I don't know if you need a remote controlled light but it is handy at times.

Great advice, I was concerned about glare  but didn’t trust my theory without actually testing it out.  Now have to find a mounting position without it being in the way since I don’t have a pulpit or a railing at the bow and don’t want to block my navigation lights from other boaters

Wouldn't think you would get any glare off your windshield , seeing that you don't have one . I would mount it on the T-Top , the higher the better. That should reduce any glare off the water . Most ,if not all hard top boats have them mounted on the hard top , not there pulpits. Seems like it gives more off a seeable spread and is out of harms way. Most of the boats I see with pulpit lights are soft top and unless they make a mounting bracket on there windshield frame have no other choice as to where to mount them. Then if they did they are dealing with hiding wires in and around there frame ,which is easier said than done.

• Like 1

I have one located on the bow of my boat (no other option) and it is far from optimal in terms of that placement despite being remotely controlled etc.as it does emit glare when placed in front of your eyes rather than being above your field of vision because your eyes  are accomodated to the darkness and the bright light out in front of you screws things up

Definitely would be out of the way up there and from a 7’ height and only 4’ of bow to clear in front of it should hopefully avoid glare off the boat.  I may have a buddy hold a handheld spotlight from the position at night to test it before I install anything.  Thanks guys for all of your input

Agree with FF34 , your eyes will adjust better with the light above and even or slightly in front of your sightline. Just think of walking in the woods with a flashlight ,you can see more if you hold it over your head than holding it at your waist and pointing forward. Stadium lighting is always high for a reason. You will not get any glare off the bow of the boat that way. Spotlight or  HID LED bar light is your next option . Spotlight is good for zeroing in on buoys ect in the harbor. LED is more of a flood light and has no moving parts to break as well as working better in a fog ,[ for other boats to see you ] if you are caught in one without radar. Either is better than nothing.