Spring Brown Trout on Chinook Divers 1/13

Do you use a snubber?

Typically, I run it on 30 lb braid. On this particular day I ran it on a rod that had 15 lb monofilament. One thing you want to make sure of is that you have a medium light action rod. Eight and a half to nine foot seems to be best.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Sent from my SM-G970U using Lake Ontario United mobile app

With the exception of my dipsy rods all my other rods are light action 8' 3" with 16lb andes. Is There any particular lures that work better than others for that in tight bite. thanks

No, but I do recommend a ML action rod. I've run 8' and 9' ML rods. Both work fine.

3 hours ago, Zinger11 said:

With the exception of my dipsy rods all my other rods are light action 8' 3" with 16lb andes. Is There any particular lures that work better than others for that in tight bite. thanks

I generally use spoons, but a buddy runs Bay Rat short shallows behind them and does well.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Yankee Troller said:

No, but I do recommend a ML action rod. I've run 8' and 9' ML rods. Both work fine.

Are those the ML rods from Fat Nancy's?  Streamside or Riverside?

Stole/borrowed this technique from Rick a couple years back and it certainly has its days!

For years I had run a shallow short rigger in the kicker prop wash. 2-5' down 15' back. Many times you see the fish up out of the water with the spoon in its mouth before the rigger releases. So with that in mind why wouldn't a short diver work.

Now I run nothing but Chinooks for my divers all season. 2's in the spring. 4's/5's in the summer.

Good video, Thanks for sharing Rick!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, greenboatluke said:

Could you use a downrigger rod? Or would it be better to have a rod with faster action?

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

You want a flexible rod. With so little line out a ml action rod helps a couple different ways. It absorbs the waves better and it helps so the fish can't shake themselves off so easily. Try what you have and see if it works for you.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 9 months later...
5 minutes ago, troutman10 said:

I just ordered a couple chinook divers and can't wait to use them. It will allow me to add a quick extra rod in the spread. Do they release quite easy when a fish strikes? If so, is the release adjustable? 

The ones I received seem easy to release out of the package.  They are adjustable like any other disk style diver however.