Dipsy tension settings

Hey guys. Just wondering how guys figure out the proper tension for their wire dipsys. Seems I’ll get false trips in rough water or it’s set too tight and is hard as heck to release. Any info would be appreciated. I’m running Dreamweaver deeper divers in the 107 and 124 sizes. I run blacks releases for riggers and set them around 5lbs as the bands I use break roughly at 4.5lbs.  

Edited by Salmon guy

I attach ‘em to the wire, tighten ‘em down good and then drop them in at the side of the boat while trolling. I hold the rod and give it a good hard side sweep. Then I back the screw off little by little until it releases doing that.

I like them real tight so I don’t get false releases but you can get a good feel for the pressure you want by how hard you sweep the rod.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

All trial and error. I dont mind a false release every so often, gives me a chance to check for debris. I like em light, but dont want every surge to trip them.

If its flat calm, you can run em really light. If its rough, gotta crank em down. Always have a small phillips driver in the stern cupholder for adjustments.

Can also loosen the drag and a surge will cause a click or two rather than a release. Wire is not forgiving and with a mag divers the rod doesn't have a ton of give left either better an occasional false trip than a freight train hit breaking every thing off

Sent from my XT1080 using Lake Ontario United mobile app