Rubber bands for release clips

It isn't necessary to use rubber bands as far as the functioning of the release itself. It basically boils down to a preference issue. Some folks feel that it gives an opportunity to  fine tune the release for small fish or perhaps walleyes for one thing.

Edited by Sk8man

Yes as sk8man says it’s more for smaller fish when they hit. I’ve also spoke with a few charter captains and they say it gets them better hook up ratios as well but who knows in that one. I fish northern Lake Huron 3/4 of the time so dragging pinks around without knowing is a real issue. Thanks again legacy for the tips!! Theirs a pretty good read on this topic if you go to Michigan angler.com. John King does some pretty good experiments and explains bands further!! 

So why rubber bands I've fished boats that use blacks but have never seen bands used. I have a couple of Blacks which I have yer to use I have been reluctant to replace my Scotty's but nowhere on the Blacks instruction card to I see mention of rubber bands.

The only purpose they serve for me is early season brown trout fishing. I run blacks releases (and love them) but I feel by adding rubber bands they perform better for the application. Instead of twisting your downrigger line and placing the loop into the release I half hitch 1-2 rubber bands and put them into the release. A few reasons why... I can see the bites better, I feel my hook ups are better, and because of the stretch of the rubber bands I loose less fish.

Sent from my moto z4 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

why don't all you guys switch to chamberlain releases for walleye and small fish. its built on the blacks release but has 2 adjustments. 1 is for rod tension the other is for lure tension. you can set the rod tension tight then set the lure tension loose enough where even white perch will trip it.

i've been using them on erie's central basin for some yrs now. they are hands down the best release out there on small fish or walleye.

Michigan Angler sells two sizes of bands depending on what depth you're fishing. Suppose to biodegradable, makes me feel better. We have had zero issues using bands and blacks since we figured it out. We may not be the sharpest! Good luck,   Matt

The Chamberlains do excel at the lighter fish release but they also max out at 4 lbs release strength so for running attractors, meat rigs etc. the Black's have a higher release strength. I have both and sometimes use the Chamberlain Stacker Release right on the same riggers with the Black's and located right above the Black on the wire (e.g. for walleyes or perch etc.).  This way have the best of both worlds when after multi-species.

Edited by Sk8man

1 hour ago, Salmon guy said:

Yeah I’m in canada so ordering bands from him just isn’t feasible or I would for sure. A guy at the dock give me a bunch to try and we were impressed. Wasn’t sure on size I just know they broke around 4.3-4.5 lbs of pressure. 

You can buy the 12s or 16s in any office supple store.

21 hours ago, dry net said:

Are all bands biodegradable?

I'm not sure if all bands are, but I do know that they tend to rot and fall apart if you keep them too long or if they are out in the sun.

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/19/2020 at 7:44 AM, Legacy said:

The only purpose they serve for me is early season brown trout fishing. I run blacks releases (and love them) but I feel by adding rubber bands they perform better for the application. Instead of twisting your downrigger line and placing the loop into the release I half hitch 1-2 rubber bands and put them into the release. A few reasons why... I can see the bites better, I feel my hook ups are better, and because of the stretch of the rubber bands I loose less fish.

for the rubber band, So on the blacks, how tight do you adjust to?  will the rubber band break or pull the release

2 hours ago, Reel Overtime said:

for the rubber band, So on the blacks, how tight do you adjust to?  will the rubber band break or pull the release

When tuning my Blacks, I use my scale or trigger scale and set the release 1.75-2lbs for walleye and 4-5lbs for salmon (No rubber bands).  Depends if I'm pulling a spoon/FF/meat.  I also like a little heavier on the release, I think I get a little better hookset, but that's pure speculation.  Heavier set also allows me to crank down on the rod a bit more.

Edited by orangediablo

I double up on rubber bands and yes I set the releases so they release. Fish rarely ever release them on their own.

I have used blacks,cannon,Roemer, walker,Mac Jack, Riviera . Those are what I remember . 

Now I use Offshore . I like them the best . You can adjust tension by how far back you pinch the line in the clip . When the pads start to wear you can replace them . 

The cable they come with allows the release to telegraph the hit of a small fish better than a black  or one fixed on the rigger cable . 

Never tried a scotty power grip but plan to ..

2 hours ago, HB2 said:

Never tried a scotty power grip but plan to ..

We've switched to using the Scotty releases on riggers and have had good luck. We use the ones with 12in mono leads which lets you see if dragging small fish. It also makes setting your lines in the release easier. Very adjustable depending on target speciesimage.thumb.jpg.b383cd64e018e096c229ea299786e90d.jpg

• Like 1