2020 Salmon school...Thank you

So I attended the 2020 Salmon school at the expo yesterday in Niagara Falls. It was first class. I learned so many techniques and "little tips" that will be very helpful.

The presentation focused on boats from 18 ft to 24ft, running a six rod spread. Meat, FF, spoons, long lines, when and where to run em and why.

Had a segment on electronics as well. They brought in an expert on reading, tuning and techniques of how to set and dial in your fishing finder.

They gave away lures, flashers, hooks, major discount codes for future purchases to eveyone who attended. And two different raffles with really cool giveaways.

I wanted to say thanks to the three incredible captains that put on this presentation and all the behind the scenes preparation. For me it was so valuable to learn the little things.

Super job guys. Can't wait to get the boat in the water!

Tim F

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Lake Ontario United mobile app

• Like 1

Tim,

Thanks for your feedback from the salmon school.  Also, to those that took a moment and messaged us/me on our FB pages.

None of us held back on sharing what we thought was important, even tho some may have sounded basic.  Sometimes doing basic things right or adding twists to that can make or break a day or add a few more bites to your morning. Usually, if you cant catch fish with 6 rods, the 7th or 8th, wont help much anyways.

Everyone had a good opportunity to see what goes on during our day and what our thought processes are !! 

I appreciate your comments.

Captain Pete

VQ

I'd like to second everything that Tim said about the Salmon School, and I'd also like to give a huge "Thank You" to Captains Pete, Andy and Matt, as well as all the others involved in putting on the school. I drove 9 hrs. from southern New Jersey to attend the Friday evening, all day Saturday and Sunday morning events as well as the show, and I left totally impressed by everyone's willingness to share knowledge that obviously took them years to learn with those of us much less experienced but eager to learn. Keep in mind that everything that seems basic to you might not yet be so basic to the rest of us, so keep those basics coming, I'm paying attention. Also impressive was the NYSDEC and other fisheries guys with their knowledge and real concern for the state of the fishery in Lake Ontario. I know a lot of the work is science mixed with some trial and error, and the results sometimes seem to be not as good as we would like, I think as long as you have guys as devoted and concerned about maintaining this superb fishery long term the future looks pretty bright despite some minor setbacks now and then. Getting back to the Salmon School, I can't wait to see how much it improves my catch this year. Maybe it will, maybe it won't, but one thing's for sure. There will be more method to my madness!

Seriously and sincerely, thank you again to all who made the effort to put on a great school, it is very much appreciated.

Nick

I would like to second Bustersit comments on Salmon School. I was at last years school and it was great. I was so ready for the advanced class and it was clear that the captains made a major effort to produce a truly exceptional advanced program.

The Friday and Sunday classes were packed full of information for beginners and advanced fisherman. Classes were on tactics, strategy, equipment and how to boat setups. There was region specific information from captains from east, west and the Canadians were there to address the north shore. The classes started every 2 hour and they continued all day.

The vendors came to the show with discount from 10 to 60%. I picked up new copper for 60% off. There was some new products vendors with some very interested offering.

The DEC showed up in force and they came ready to share their information and help you with your questions.. 

Great job and kudos to the DEC. 

It was so so good I was sad to not be there on Monday morning. Thank you to all for doing a great job.

This was my 3rd year doing the Salmon School. They did a great job once again. There was alot of info they gave and at time funny. It was great that it was more for the smaller boat guys. Some of tactics that when fishing get tougher that I know I forget about doing. I have come to realize that you never stop learning. Capt Pete said it best what this school is all about. You come back to the dock with only a couple and say the fish weren't biting today. The right behind you someone comes in with in cooler full. You start asking yourself why did I only get a couple ? What was I doing wrong ? Was I even fishing in the right spot ? That's where the salmon school helps. I appreciate everything you guys do for everyone.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Pete, Andy and Matt you guys did an outstanding job at this years Salmon School.  I missed last years school. You guys put a lot of hard work into this and it showed.  You weren't afraid to share tips and information and I thank you that.  I have a 21 foot Starcraft and I'm always wishing if I had a bigger boat I could do this or do that or do better.  Yes a bigger boat would be nice with more room and being able to move rods out of the way when needed but when it comes down to it, it's the knowledge of what to do when being out there on the water.  Actually it starts when you do your homework prior to being out there and looking at the previous weather and wave conditions and you guys shared that in great detail.  I remember the phrase from a famous fisherman and author, "Knowledge is the key to fishing success".  I want to thank you guys for sharing your knowledge with us fishermen and fisherwoman.  I spent a lot of money this past weekend at the show and things are going to be a little different on my boat this year. I can't wait to get out there.  Thanks again.

Edited by Jimmyi

Good luck jimmyi and thanks...

We have we can catch almost as many fish with the "right" 6 rods in the right place and doing the right things.  A few of the tourneys are only 6 rods and a well worked-tweaked 6 rod program can catch almost or as many as a bigger program.  Most of our Mid may to October fish come on the program we discussed.  Junk rods work and have their better days but the program we discussed catches 80-90% of our fish once away from that skinny water !

Have a great 2020 fishing season.

Captain Pete

VQ

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Frogger said:

Just an idea and may have been talked about, recording the seminar and sell the cd’s to those that couldn’t attend? Discounts to past Alumni.......lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

This is a good idea. I was signed up/paid etc for this year but unfortunately something came up the night before and I was unable to get there in time. Still made it to the show but missed the school. If anybody cares to share a few of the "good tips" learned that would be cool.

I wish I hadn't found out last minute that I wasn't gonna make it as I know there were guys who wanted to attend but couldn't due to tickets being sold out. I would have happily gave me tickets away.

Edited by Rookie Fisherman