Open launch areas?

Fjaq

I see Irondequoit Bay launch area was usable 9 days ago.

anyone in that area know its condition today (1/21/2020)?

What about Sodus area launches?

thanks for any info. Weather for  Thursday and Friday this week looks good so far.

1 hour ago, Fjaq said:

I see Irondequoit Bay launch area was usable 9 days ago.

anyone in that area know its condition today (1/21/2020)?

What about Sodus area launches?

thanks for any info. Weather for  Thursday and Friday this week looks good so far.

The Genny is your best bet. I-Bay iced over at the North end. A little wind and it could open up easily. There is a launch by the coast guard station in Sodus. That's generally open.

• Like 1

OK.  I Would have thought the area next to the Coast Guard Station in Sodus would be iced over.

Never launched in the Genny.  Google maps satellite pics show, what looks like, a public ramp next the The Port of Rochester Marina at 1000 N. River St.  Looks good from the pics and looks like it is closest to the lake.

comments on this (or other) ramp?

i bay is a tough bet this time of year it could be open from launch to lake but the ice sheet or part of it can and often does move and could block your way back

bear creek is usually open but the docks will be out and if there is any surge that one can be lets call it interesting.

genny is probably a good bet but if we get some real cold stretches ice chunks are a possiblility there as well though at that point shore ice on the lake may make it moot

never launched out of the coast guard station but would think the risk of getting blocked out happens there as well.  deffinatly best to use a launch with no major ice formation behind or upstream. .  

• Like 1

OK.  I Would have thought the area next to the Coast Guard Station in Sodus would be iced over.

Never launched in the Genny.  Google maps satellite pics show, what looks like, a public ramp next the The Port of Rochester Marina at 1000 N. River St.  Looks good from the pics and looks like it is closest to the lake.

comments on this (or other) ramp?

Yes, public launch at the Genny is best bet. Huge parking lot, permanent dock, and last to freeze over

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Thanks Jeremy, ifishy, yankee troller for the info.  I decided to check launches yesterday in my car before hauling the boat up.

public launch next to Port of Rochester is a no go for me.  Ramp and parking lot has about 5” of snow and bottom of ramp water is all ice out about 40’.  

BUT, buzzed over to Del Lago and won $400!

Cruised down west side of Cayuga.  Dean’s Cove road down to the ramp is snow and ice covered.  We decided not to drive down.

Taughannock launch looks OK.  Bubbler was not on though????

pics are of launch on Genny and Taughannock.

And as expected Treman launch all iced in.

34FA0096-08E5-4DC3-ACDA-C9FB3ABFE346.jpeg

B6C934DE-BED5-4A54-A10B-3091BA2E201F.jpeg

• Like 1