Best planner boards

You mean inline boards or outrigger boards?  Inline boards has to be church tackle TX-44 boards, but there are mods to help prevent them from submerging ... as well as technique in reeling in especially that last 50 ft of line.

But nothing compares to outrigger boards ... fish hits, line releases off the board, you are fighting the fish, not the board.  Big Jon Otter Boat Planer Boards work really well, I know a captain that uses them regularly, and I've tried them vs. the TX-44 boards, and hands down it is way better.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/22/2020 at 9:13 AM, geoice said:

What’s the best or lightest planner board? I have a old pair of boards that serve the purpose but have had issues with them diving under the water and they are heavy and rough on the mast to pull through rough chop

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Big Jon Otter Boats all the way. They are literally in the water every day I am out.

2 minutes ago, geoice said:

The boards I have are old and heavy and they sit low in the water and when it’s rough they like to dive like a dipsey...not fun

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Weight doesnt matter its all about performance. Most boards do the job but attention needs to be paid on proper setup. Tough to beat the performance of the Big Jons using braid as towline.

8 minutes ago, fishinfreak said:

Why braid over traditional tow line ?

Sent from my SM-A505U using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Traditional.... like dacron?

Im currently using 200# braid. Comparing braid to dacron isnt even fair.

1- braid doesn't absorb water 

2- zero stretch

3- smaller diameter

4- releases slide better

5- lasts longer

6- durability

dacron tends to get water soak and sag in the water. Once your towline starts sagging in the water then your boards tend to lag. Never an issue with braid.

Traditional.... like dacron?

Im currently using 200# braid. Comparing braid to dacron isnt even fair.
1- braid doesn't absorb water 
2- zero stretch
3- smaller diameter
4- releases slide better
5- lasts longer
6- durability

dacron tends to get water soak and sag in the water. Once your towline starts sagging in the water then your boards tend to lag. Never an issue with braid.
Thank you very much. I need to change my tow line this year and I think I will put braid on. What brand do you recommend

Really any 200-250# braid will do. Ive used power pro and along with others and see no major difference for the application. There is only a few makers in the world for it so it really doesnt matter. 

22 hours ago, fishinfreak said:

I have heard a lot of good things about the Amish Outfitters plastic planer boards. Thinking of getting a set myself this year

I have 2 sets- great boards. Started out with Otters years back- , they never seemed to pull very good and they are awkward shape and somebody stepped on one and broke it. Then I went to Auroralites, they were good boards but burned up along with the Sportcraft. Got a set of Frank's boards for the big Crestliner and another set for the winter boat. very fairly priced and pull great! Note- with the Auroras and Franks, you need to turn towards the board when running the electric planer motors on retrieval (they pull hard). I run boards most of the time

Edited by chowder