Alewife numbers research

Gill-T

On 1/28/2020 at 11:11 AM, Lucky13 said:

If you are registered as an independent you are a member of the Independent Party.  If you are registered as " blank", you are independent of all political parties.

The Independent party used that name to confuse people into registering as a member of their party so they can stay on the ballot as a party. They have to have a minimum number of members to have a party line on the ballot.

I am non affiliated. A member of no party. I know that means not having the privileged of voting in a primary and that being registered to a party doesn't mean you can't vote for a candidate who is not in your registered party. I just wish that more people would realize that they are not obligated to vote the party line and they should let the candidates know that. It may be the only way we can keep our democracy.

I apologize if I am being too political here.

All of snow covering up my yard gives me hope that there is a light at the end of the tunnel. So white, pristine...at least at the surface, but you-know-what lies just beneath. Today though I'm going to take a page from Douglas Adams and his paper bag over the head trick where if you can't see it, it can't affect you. In fact, I declare today to be a new national holiday: "Blind to Dog Poo" Day. Of both the canine and political kind. Maybe I'll start a trend. 

And the politicians can do what they doo, while the rest of us get on with our lives.

Edited by Gator
  • Like 1

All of snow covering up my yard gives me hope that there is a light at the end of the tunnel. So white, pristine...at least at the surface, but you-know-what lies just beneath. Today though I'm going to take a page from Douglas Adams and his paper bag over the head trick where if you can't see it, it can't affect you. In fact, I declare today to be a new national holiday: "Blind to Dog Poo" Day. Of both the canine and political kind. Maybe I'll start a trend. 

And the politicians can do what they doo, while the rest of us get on with our lives.

Don’t panic
Would you use a hitchhiker’s towel to pick up the poop?

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

You know if it was up to me I’d tow every day we could in the winter. Shakedown is scheduled for mid March, still a bunch of maintenance to finish. I’m getting anxious to get out there! 

If that warm, early spring indeed happens we will be set up for good/great Alewife reproduction this year.

• Like 2

On 2/14/2020 at 7:53 AM, schreckstoff said:

You know if it was up to me I’d tow every day we could in the winter. Shakedown is scheduled for mid March, still a bunch of maintenance to finish. I’m getting anxious to get out there! 

If that warm, early spring indeed happens we will be set up for good/great Alewife reproduction this year.

I think there was good reproduction last year as well. Now whether they can be "measured" or found, thats another matter. Lots of observations of alewives that did not go deep this year, East and West.

I think many will already be "up and in" this Spring when it's possible to conduct the bottom trawls.  

Watched a Nature of Things show on You Tube about the Leslie St Spit in Toronto. The biologists studying the cormorant colony determined that their diet was virtually 100% alewife. The tree huggers thought this was a good thing because the alewives were invasive.  Imagine the consumption lake wide by the flying rats. I can't ever remember seeing a cormorant in the 60's or 70's.

Watched a Nature of Things show on You Tube about the Leslie St Spit in Toronto. The biologists studying the cormorant colony determined that their diet was virtually 100% alewife. The tree huggers thought this was a good thing because the alewives were invasive.  Imagine the consumption lake wide by the flying rats. I can't ever remember seeing a cormorant in the 60's or 70's.

DDT was why the cormorants were nearly non existent in the 60s and 70s.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

There was no cormorants on the western end of lake Ontario on the south Canadian site in the 1960s and 1970s ! I live on the south shore at that time and still do ! Not sure what DDT had to do with it , the cormorant is a sea bird which has migrated in land like the alewife and smelt . the native fish was the cisco which has all but gone like the smelt and Atlantic  salmon IMO !

DDT in the water.  Very persistent.  Went thru food web to Cormorants causing egg shell thinning so when they sit on eggs during nesting, the eggs break.  Same for Eagles and other birds.  We are coming out of the DDT era and the birds of prey are back.  

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Gill-T said:

DDT in the water.  Very persistent.  Went thru food web to Cormorants causing egg shell thinning so when they sit on eggs during nesting, the eggs break.  Same for Eagles and other birds.  We are coming out of the DDT era and the birds of prey are back.  

That is my understanding as well.

40 minutes ago, Legacy said:

Make DDT great again!

Sent from my moto z4 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

No thanks.

Cormorants were not noticed till some guides went out to Gallooo Island with shotguns and tried to wipe out them, The next day some do gooder bird watchers found the dead cormorants and got the Federal and state agents to enforce the controls on migrating birds on the guides who were guilty of calling attention to the situation. So the government did nothing then and now we have this out of control situation of cormorants