Nissan Frontier crew cab with 4.0 L V-6

I classify this truck as a I would the Ford Ranger that Ford made unchanged for years, til 2011.  And you see all kinds of vehicles going down the road pulling things they probably shouldn't be.  In any case, I did not look it up but I would guess its max tow rating is about 5000-5500 lbs.   Throw in some gear in the boat, in the truck, some passengers etc. and it is a loaded truck at its max.   It is one thing if you are going 5 miles twice a year, quite another if you are pulling it all over.

The Nissan has not been updated since 2004 or 2005, not that it is bad but it doesn't have the enhancements that have come in the past decade.

Pickups are ridiculously expensive both new and used I just think there are better options to pull that type of weight.  

Just an FYI as something to consider. My boat is only 18-6 ft but it is pretty wide and the trailer I have has a wide wheel base. I originally had a (used) Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer with the towing package to tow the boat which weighs about 3500-4000 fully loaded (60 gal gas tank etc.). The Explorer was listed as being able to tow that weight. What I found however was that even when the tongue weight was finely tuned (important) to the situation when I reached about 60-65 mph on the thruway the "tail began to wag the dog" and the front wheels of the Explorer felt as though they were "floating". The wheelbase of the trailer was outside that of the Explorer by quite a bit and at speed it was controlling the vehicle. I purchased a used  Ford Expedition which is based on a truck chassis with a wider wheelbase than the Expedition and the problem was solved and you'd never even know the boat was back there. The situation might have been improved with a "sway bar stabilizer" but I'm not sure.

Edited by Sk8man

I have one, my boat is a 20ft tiller and weighed 3950 when I pulled it over the scale. I have an F250 in the driveway and unless I’m taking the truck camper I tow with the frontier. Plenty of power breaks fine, I have trailer breaks. All around it’s just more comfortable than the F250, I love my frontier my only complaint is that the mileage sucks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I owned this exact truck in the 2012 year class. I towed my 19' Aluminum. Total towing weight (boat/motor/trailer/full tank of gas) was 3300lbs. I would say the truck pulled the boat without issue but breaking distance was poor, even with top of the line aftermarket rotors and pads the truck did not do a great job stopping. I will add that my trailer WAS NOT equipped with surge breaks or breaking of any kind. (when you exceed 3000lbs surge breaks are required).

This caused me to upgrade to a full size truck this winter.

I would say if your trailer has breaks you might be ok. but without them I would not recommend it

Power was not an issue at all

Edited by Drebs12

When towing your boat it is very important to monitor your transmission temperature, especially going up hill or thruway speeds. Oil breaks down quickly at 180 degrees. Nascar teams change their rear end and transmision fluids daily. Your brake fluids deteriorate quickly when the rotors glow red so be careful with extreme braking use.