Setting up my first boat

Hi guy. I'm writing on here to see if anyone could help me out. I have always had the passion for fishing. I have had meany boats in the past. I have become every interested in down rigger fishing. I have watched a lot of utube. Unbelievable how much you can lern from there.  Well I have saved up some money, bought a 1985 24' penn van . Have not had it in the water yet but can't weight to get her out. I have installed 4 down riggers 2 big jon and 2 cannon riggers. I installed a water temperature unit that will tell me water temp and speed of lure.  I have a helix 7 with gps. And all the safety stuff needed. I am looking for some advice. I have a Yamaha 25 hp with power tilt. Is that to big of a motor to put on for a kicker. Plus I'm in the need of buying tackle.  I purchased some stuff from this sight and ebay but I would love to know being a beginner. What should I have in my arsenal.  I'm truly looking to fish Lakers and salmon. Anything you guys can share will be highly appreciated.  Thank you in advance. 

I almost forgot it has a old pilot that is under the hell wheel. Seems to work ok but I would love to install something newer up to date that will go to waypoints and follow a past path or line. Like I said new to this so I'm still learning. What would you guys buy something worth the money. I'm most likely going to fish alot by myself. So a good pilot will help . I already have the hummingbird lake chart maps for my helix7. 

Edited by 13usedparts

I'm going to suggest something that might seem a bit off the point but maybe a good idea: before you get too far along take a charter from one of the guys on this website. Ask in advance if you can bounce some ideas and questions off them. Make a list of questions beforehand that is relevant to your situation (e.g like the things above). Watch very closely how things are done on that boat and how it is setup and see if there are things you can replicate on your own boat.

I know it costs money for a charter (maybe get some buddies to go in on it with you), and seems like it might not be absolutely necessary but it could turn out to be the most productive way to answer your questions and gain actual hands on experience which can shorten the learning curve by years rather than going out in your boat alone the first time (not a great idea anyway) and trying to figure out stuff that was suggested on here.

Edited by Sk8man
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, 13usedparts said:

Hi guy. I'm writing on here to see if anyone could help me out. I have always had the passion for fishing. I have had meany boats in the past. I have become every interested in down rigger fishing. I have watched a lot of utube. Unbelievable how much you can lern from there.  Well I have saved up some money, bought a 1985 24' penn van . Have not had it in the water yet but can't weight to get her out. I have installed 4 down riggers 2 big jon and 2 cannon riggers. I installed a water temperature unit that will tell me water temp and speed of lure.  I have a helix 7 with gps. And all the safety stuff needed. I am looking for some advice. I have a Yamaha 25 hp with power tilt. Is that to big of a motor to put on for a kicker. Plus I'm in the need of buying tackle.  I purchased some stuff from this sight and ebay but I would love to know being a beginner. What should I have in my arsenal.  I'm truly looking to fish Lakers and salmon. Anything you guys can share will be highly appreciated.  Thank you in advance. 

10 hours ago, 13usedparts said:

Thank you for the advice, I did forget to mention in the above post that I have taken charters out. About 6 times know. That's what got me hooked. I have pretty much got my boat set up to the point I am from what I have learned from utube , charters, and web sights. I guess what I'm looking for more then anything is what equipment,  rigs are the local guys using to get me on the fish.  I know I will learn alot just by trial and era . Just looking to put my money to good us instead of useless gear. Thanks again Happy fishing.  O and just to clarify the above statement of going out by myself, I was trying to say I want a boat that can pretty much fish her self. I own a small construction business with 8 employees.  I highly doubt I will ever get the boat out of the shop without one or two of them wanting to tag along.  

Keep an eye on this sight and ask questions of where how deep and what color some guys will be tight lipped but some of us are not you will find you might not even need to ask you will see it in their post and the pictures to go along with the info

Ah OK. As far as the kicker it would probably depend on whether you have enough space on the transom (you didn't mention what type main motor you already have but usually I/O, inboard or Tunnel drive etc. on those boats) or if using a bracket you'd need a very stout one especially if the 25 hp is a four stroke. That motor with power tilt will be pretty heavy despite the size of the boat.

I'm assuming you are intending to fish Lake O? Or Finger Lakes too?  Most of the lures and attractors can be used in both places but often the rod and reel setups but you didn't mention what rods and reels you may already have.

As far as Lake trout fishing in both Lake O and the Finger Lakes one of the most productive things to use with riggers or on wire rigs is cowbells (Hammerhead Spinners are very good) with Gambler Rigs behind them. They come in many color combinations and sizes but they all work well. I prefer the #4 and #5 cowbells and the regular sized gambler Rigs but the micro sized ones work on the Finger Lakes too. These cowbells offer less resistance in the water than the older style metal ones (e.g. Luhr Jensen's and others). They can be found here: https://www.hammerheadchartersandtackle.com/40-50-spinners/

The gambler rigs can be found here: https://gamblerrigs.com/

As far as salmon and trout : everyone has favorite spoons and stickbaits on here and they have been discussed in depth on various threads here so maybe searching for those threads would help you select some specific ones to try. Size is important; It is best to have an assortment of sizes in both spoons or sticks and a range of colors both light and dark and some just silver, brass, and copper. The magnum spoons seem to be less productive on the Finger Lakes at least for me but at some times in the season they are very productive on Lake O.

Although downriggers can be workhorses there are times when they don't necessarily excel out there and wire dipsy divers are a main way to catch trout and salmon especially when used with attractors such as flashers and Spin Doctors which came in a number of sizes as well. The attractors can also be run behind downriggers and commonly employ flies behind them or spoons. Combinations of green and white has always been a "go to" for me on both the attractor and fly.

As you go along other setups can be added such as leadcore and copper wire run from planer boards.

I know this is just general information and it is intended to give you an idea what to search for on here for specific recommendations regarding lures, colors etc. There is a wealth of information already available here on just about anything you can imagine if you research it.

P.S. Another thing to help with the rigger fishing if you haven't already done it is get some shark shaped weights that offer less resistance in the water than the older style weights so that your depth penetration is better. Some older electric motors only were recommended for 10 lbs max and in general the heavier weights tend to create less "blowback" of the downrigger wire. Bikinibottom on here makes some very nice effective shark shaped weights in a number of weights and are highly recommended.

Edited by Sk8man

I have attached  a copy of the program slides from this years salmon school. Look closely for the pattern used by three of the best Captains on the lake. Good luck I started two years ago and the people on Lake Ontario are the best!

15801408833496644360192342696955.jpg

15801410216585114169557641198224.jpg

Earl28 has provided some good setups in those pictures.

You'll want to try the following combos:

- 11" spin doctors and Atomik flies ... look at those frog patterns Earl has posted. Get ones like UV Stud Live, Mirage Glow, Glow Hammer, Ultra Green Glow, Pro/Am Glow, Bloody Death, Carmel Dolphin, Hawg Wild ... these can be on the riggers, and/or a braided line with a dipsey, or preferably a wire line dipsey (will impact type of rod you need).

- Clean spoons on riggers. Northern King Green Monkey Puke, Purple Thunder, Watermelon, Hog Wild, 42nd Spoon (actually my favorite).

Early spring silver, blues and coppers/golds seem to work ... the early summer moves to blue and green, end of summer colors are more purple, reds, oranges ... but the greens still work to.

I wouldn't get a million spoons and flies of assorted colors, but rather get multiples of good setups.  Some days there's only one color that works, and we often would through another one or two of the same/similar out in the water.

I would recommend 4 to 6 mono rods, 2 to 4 wire and 4 weighted lines (torpedo, lead core and/or copper) Rods need to be 8 to 10' medium action. The wires rods need to be pairs that are at least 1 foot different lengths. 

My setup was purchases over time in the order I have listed. The price of the reels will be from 50 to 150 and the rods are from 25 to 45. This is for the low to medium priced units.

I would also recommend Chinook divers for salmon and Kastaways for trout on the bottom.

I hope this helps. Good luck. If I can help send me a PM

First off I want to give thanks to everyone that has posted on here. I have found all the information valuable.  Thank you. Well I got another question above in my original post I mentioned that I had a 25 hp yamaha . It is a four strock electric start. With power tilt. I have all the controls , wiring and cables to hook this thing up. From the numbers on the motor it was manufactured in 1998.  It runs great new stainless steel prop. Motor was on my pontoon boat. Witch is for sale. Anyways it runs great. Know I have looked around and really can't find anywhere that will give me an idea what this motor is worth. I'm hoping maybe selling it for enough money for a smaller kick motor or a new pilot set up. Any ideas 

I have been on friends boat with 25hp kickers but the smallest boat was a 26'er. A 26'er also works great with a 15hp. Smaller boat can get by with a 9.9hp.

Nada has boat and Outboard price listings. 

I have been looking for a nice 26/28 for 2 years.

There are many but they are hard to find right. If  you list  it may sell fast. Good luck