Washing the dishes

So in several west coast videos that have been occupying my time when the water is too hard to put a boat on and too soft to walk on I see the guys washing their equipment and hands in Lemon Joy and wearing rubber gloves. How many go to these  measures?I have never been able to locate Lemon Joy in Ontario grocery chains. I remember a video from the dark ages and the guy was dipping his lures in the bilge water and I have a friend that puts his Rockets in his mouth to make them go into the head easier.

In most of the western states you get a ticket if you don’t pick up your dogs poop but if you do it personally you get assistance.
Not much there should be surprising.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Yeah folks used to spray their lures with WD40 too and that isn't a great idea on several levels. Superstitious behavior  has many avenues of expression:lol:

Sense of smell is a huge part of the animal world . It dictates and triggers behavior  And responses. It may be the sense that humans have evolved away from and depend for survival  less than our ancestors . 

Artificial looks and act real , but doesn't smell real  .We all know how well cut bait and brown trout eggs work .  Modern day plastics are impregnated with salt and packed with scent . And are light years,better than early versions. 

In the last few years I  have started using and depending on scent more and more  on my bass baits and also on my stream steelhead flies with great success . I have used it years past but have found one that I like a lot . 

So don't discount it . 

Scent at times does help at times in my opinion
I believe the original poster is asking about washing away foreign scent .

I watched a episode of fishing 411 and they used lemon joy to wash the lure off after every catch to wash away blood and amino acids "his words" . To help catch more fish

Which I think is un necessary and stupid and that was my last episode.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J327A using Lake Ontario United mobile app

• Like 1

I think I have seen the same videos on YouTube. It was a father/son fishing duo and they would wash their spoons in lemon joy and scrub them with a brush after catching a fish on them. I'm always a little hesitant when sponsored fisherman on TV/YouTube/etc recommend something odd and say it by name/show the brand. I believe a lot of this is done for sponsorship reasons regardless if that is what the person actually believes. Not to mention with the way these shows are edited you can make it look like the fish were jumping in the boat if you wanted. I'm not saying this is the case in this situation but I always take these things with a grain of salt. That being said I keep a bar of the "scent eliminator" hunting soap on the boat for cleaning up my hands after stopping at the fuel dock. 

I'm relatively new to salmon fishing but have fished muskies for over 35 years and one thing I know is the more muskies a lure catches the more muskies the lure catches. Is this because the muskies leave something on the lure or because as my confidence builds and the more time it spends in the water.

Back in the late 60's my boat was berthed beside a guy that guided for lake trout. We would often share a beer on each other's boat. One day I found a small bottle on his boat and asked what it was. He replied "fish attractant " I asked does it work . He replied " works for me I sold $5000 worth at the sportsman shows" turns out he was buying cod liver oil in bulk and selling it in small bottles. I never saw him use it on a lure but in the late 60's you could get a pretty fancy car for less than $5000.

As for me , I have proven scent works on warm water species , salmon  and trout, still or fly fishing . I have a ton of confidence in it . 

The jury is still out on trolling but I do know when the plastic in my rig is new it  gets  hit more . 

Edited by HB2

10 hours ago, HB2 said:

Sense of smell is a huge part of the animal world . It dictates and triggers behavior  And responses. It may be the sense that humans have evolved away from and depend for survival  less than our ancestors . 

Artificial looks and act real , but doesn't smell real  .We all know how well cut bait and brown trout eggs work .  Modern day plastics are impregnated with salt and packed with scent . And are light years,better than early versions. 

In the last few years I  have started using and depending on scent more and more  on my bass baits and also on my stream steelhead flies with great success . I have used it years past but have found one that I like a lot . 

So don't discount it . 

I think I'm going to bring a banana on my next charter outing and see what happens. LOL.

So a lot of scents are oil based and I had a fisheries biologist tell me a scent would have to be water soluble otherwise it would be impossible for the scent to enter the fished olfactory system. So can the scent be soluble and the oil just a carrier?

I'm not superstitious nothing has ever happened to me because of superstition ...........knock on wood

Edited by horsehunter

I like Smelly Jelly . 

It's oil base and stinks . 

I get it on my hands and it gets on my clothes . And it's hard to wash off . 

And did I mention  that  it stinks  . 

But it works great . 

I  Will be experimenting with scent on my rigs more this year . 

I like Smelly Jelly . 

It's oil base and stinks . 

I get it on my hands and it gets on my clothes . And it's hard to wash off . 

And did I mention  that  it stinks  . 

But it works great . 

I  Will be experimenting with scent on my rigs more this year . 

In a huge fan of smelly jelly except the yellow one. I can’t remember the scent but it flat out deters fish.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Well, my dock mates (ones a charter and the other a recreational fisherman) both believe in washing your hands with Joy dish soap before touching lures or touching their poles. So I got sucked into this way of thinking and doing things. Then I became a mate on a charter boat ! This captain smoked cigars never washed his hands didn't use scents and we filled the boat with fish. On 4 occasions I caught the clients eating bananas, 3 of those charters limited out. So as far as scents and bananas and all that stuff, I'd say it's all a bunch of baloney !

Sent from my moto e6 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I'd heard about western guys washing baits with Joy years ago.  Saw the video on Fish 411 and its got me interested. At the Niagara expo I talked specificly about this with Jay Rominack. Said he was a doubter till friend from out west got him to try. He told me it must be Joy non ultra. Joy ultra is easy to find. Had to search on web to find non ultra. Jay said testing was done on this and for some reason Joy does not repel fish but other soaps do. He's also adding procure scent after washing. I'm gonna play around with this this year.

I believe the ultra contains bleach. I've never been able to find either.

The surprising thing is that all the guys not washing lures or wearing latex gloves have caught any fish at all over the past 30 years.

You can probably tell by my posts that winter is getting to me

Edited by horsehunter

I found that when using scents and especially Smelly Jelly that it was important to wash the lures to remove residue from the lures before storing after use.  I had finish on some spoons get damaged and tackle boxes having to get cleaned out if I was lazy on cleaning the old scent off.  Having a small bucket of water with some detergent to toss the lures in when changing out is a good way to handle.  On my trips to the West Coast, I see a much bigger selection of scents than what we have here in the East.  Interesting to see what guys use in different areas of the country.

On ‎1‎/‎28‎/‎2020 at 5:50 AM, HB2 said:

So don't discount it . 

I am sure you are aware that as soon as you apply scent, for purposes of regulations, you are no longer fishing an artificial lure, but have crossed into the "dark side" of bait fishing.  So if it is legal to fish bait, I just hang an egg sack off the "fly", generally a glo bug if I think bait is needed.

I am considering using nitrile gloves on some days to see if I catch more fish, as I still persist in my dirty and unhealthful smoking habit, and I've never seen a fish with a cigar in its mouth.  But I see lots f pinners hooking up while cranking on cigarettes and vapers, so it will just be an experiment.