Brown or Atlantic?!?!

Burger

Brown trout. Spotting below the lateral midline section, spotting on adipose fin, eye extends beyond the rear edge of the mouth. The spotting itself sure doesn't look very characteristic of a brown though.Would be nice to see the tail shape as noted above and the fins look pretty light colored for a brown too but they (the fish) vary greatly in coloration among the lakes and stream environments too. It looks kind of anemic for a brown or landlock:smile:

Edited by Sk8man
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Sk8man said:

Brown trout. Spotting below the lateral midline section, spotting on adipose fin, eye extends beyond the rear edge of the mouth. The spotting itself sure doesn't look very characteristic of a brown though.Would be nice to see the tail shape as noted above and the fins look pretty light colored for a brown too but they (the fish) vary greatly in coloration among the lakes and stream environments too. It looks kind of anemic for a brown or landlock:smile:

The illustration above shows spotting below the lateral line on an Atlantic as well as on the brown.  It is not the best photo on the world for trying to do an ID, with the hand over the tail; and the low pixel count to the photo.

We had a Region 7 Game Warden staying for summer vacation two doors down from us on Fourth Lake of the Fulton Chain for a while.  The Landlock fishing  was VERY good back then, and although there were a few browns in the lake stocked at the other end, we were sure we had never caught one.  But Kevin said that he had to do the anal fin ray count on every fish he examined when he got assigned to patrol Lake Ontario or tribs, as none of the indicators other than internal and the ray count was conclusive. 

I am not sure what you see as anemic, as I thought the fish was healthy at least weight for length.  We see a lot of skinny LLS in the 'daks usually because they are experiencing a down smelt year and are substituting baby perch.  Maybe the color?

I meant the coloration (faint coloration) only and was further elaborating on the previous sentence:smile: Girth wise etc. it looked fine and color could have reflected lack of contrast in photo too but the clothing looks pretty black.. Notice I said lateral midline section not lateral line:smile:

Edited by Sk8man

On ‎1‎/‎29‎/‎2020 at 11:33 AM, Sk8man said:

I meant the coloration (faint coloration) only and was further elaborating on the previous sentence:smile: Girth wise etc. it looked fine and color could have reflected lack of contrast in photo too but the clothing looks pretty black.. Notice I said lateral midline section not lateral line:smile:

I stand corrected. As to color, I agree that Browns have yellow to orangish fins usually, but Matt Sanderson has told me that Pigment varies widely in trout (and both Brown Trout and LLS are trout, taxonomically), and so is not a very reliable indicator of species.