Recommendation for moose hunt in Newfoundland

tim

Anyone make a recent hunting trip to Newfoundland for moose? I am looking for a new outfitter. Been there twice before took a cow would like a chance at a bull. I’m 65 and that’s part of the bucket list.one more try

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

don't forget about Maine--in 2017, after 17 years of putting in for the drawing, we were selected.  I can't tell you how spectacular the hunt went.  My buddy and I harvested an 8.5 year old bull that weighed

854 lbs and was 45'' wide as his best days were behind him. 

He charged in at full speed to fight the bull grunting in his domain, and I mean charged.  

At various places, we met other hunters who were drawn after only a year or two entering.

Best of luck, as it will be the hunt of your life

coach

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ri rory said:

don't forget about Maine--in 2017, after 17 years of putting in for the drawing, we were selected.  I can't tell you how spectacular the hunt went.  My buddy and I harvested an 8.5 year old bull that weighed

854 lbs and was 45'' wide as his best days were behind him. 

He charged in at full speed to fight the bull grunting in his domain, and I mean charged.  

At various places, we met other hunters who were drawn after only a year or two entering.

Best of luck, as it will be the hunt of your life

coach

Did you use an outfitter in Maine? I have been putting in for years now thinking someday my name will be drawn!

We did not use an outfitter.   My buddy owns a camp in western Maine and we grew up running around the state. I am a Teacher?Coach of 27 years, My buddy is a State Trooper of 24 years .

One of our friend's is an unbelievable Maine woodsman.  He helped us scout 3 days before and

we found some great spots and things came together opening morning.  Moose down at 9:30, on the truck at noon, weigh station by 2, butcher by 7pm.

When you get selected, you will be inundated with outfitter info.  Out of a dozen hunters we spoke with, only one was unhappy with his outfitter.

Do not waste your time road hunting---it rarely works now as herd is smaller and educated.  We found skidder trails off roads off roads and found lots of sign.  i forgot the zone # , but we were  adjacent to Baxter state park.

the outfitters run about $3000 for two for meals and lodging and guiding and getting your trophy on a trailer.  Its about $800 for the butchering.

I would call local game wardens and ask for referrals then call previous hunters in the referrals.

good luck.  

Its a memory that we still talk about and we 'll take to our graves.  Unbelievable!!!!!

• Like 1

We did not use an outfitter.   My buddy owns a camp in western Maine and we grew up running around the state. I am a Teacher?Coach of 27 years, My buddy is a State Trooper of 24 years .
One of our friend's is an unbelievable Maine woodsman.  He helped us scout 3 days before and
we found some great spots and things came together opening morning.  Moose down at 9:30, on the truck at noon, weigh station by 2, butcher by 7pm.

When you get selected, you will be inundated with outfitter info.  Out of a dozen hunters we spoke with, only one was unhappy with his outfitter.

Do not waste your time road hunting---it rarely works now as herd is smaller and educated.  We found skidder trails off roads off roads and found lots of sign.  i forgot the zone # , but we were  adjacent to Baxter state park.

the outfitters run about $3000 for two for meals and lodging and guiding and getting your trophy on a trailer.  Its about $800 for the butchering.
 I would call local game wardens and ask for referrals then call previous hunters in the referrals.

good luck.  
Its a memory that we still talk about and we 'll take to our graves.  Unbelievable!!!!!

That’s great that you got selected I’m on my 33rd year now for myself and my son and still no go

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, tim said:

That’s great that you got selected I’m on my 33rd year now for myself and my son and still no go

I guess I could have quite a few more years ahead of be before being drawn..... sorry for derailing your post...

Edited by MBarbieri

I have been putting in permits for maine since 1989 and I know guys that have been picked there first year. don't count on maine. I did go to new foundland and I did shoot a bull. when I was waiting to put my truck on the ferry I talked to guys that didn't even see a moose. most people didn't get one or shot a small one. the truck next to me all four guys shot 45 to 50 inch bulls.the roads get shot up by the locals. pm me your phone number and a good time to call you I would be happy to tell you my time moose hunting and what I will do diferent

• Like 1

I am sorry my post about maine hijacked the post for New Foundland  info

here is our moose (i am on the far left)

best of luck to all and have a great weekend

coach
IMG_1783.thumb.JPG.a28efc6f7cba89a8ba1555b54a3e91da.JPG
IMG_1771.thumb.JPG.c4a8719a8c658601086a1719934a3c8f.JPG

No problem on the hijacking love to see the pictures anyway