Yaking on Cayuga?

The weather doesn't look to bad Saturday and am thinking about putting on the dry suit and heading out in my kayak. Never hit up Cayuga in the winter and am not dead set on catching any particular fish, just looking to catch something. Should I throw some sticks for trout? Are pike better in the northern shallows? Just try for some perch? If it gets hairy weather wise I might just try from shore cause staying safe is my top priority. Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated cause I'm getting some cabin fever and looking to get out of the house.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

1 minute ago, Mikeyman104 said:

Thanks, I do have a fish finder so maybe I'll see if I can find them. Would the same summer techniques work? Only tried it once but used a decent sized jig with a white swim bait 

yep.. take 1 jiggy rig and one casting rig... there are trout and salmons up high and there will be lakers on bottom and suspended... You can throe stickbaits but I personally like throwing weighted spoons or cleos  due to casting distance 

1 hour ago, bandrus1 said:

I personally would go right outta T falls and have at it

I agree totally, especially as there is a drop off nearshore, but you can get more range than a shore caster with the yak, and if it does get squirrely, you are very close to your take out, and could still cast from shore or the pier after you get out.

Made it out but no luck for me today. Seemed to be fish around I just couldn't convince them to put a hole in their lip. Bunch of people fishing from shore on this nice day and saw one boat get what looked like a brown. All in all a good day for February in my book20200201_101559.jpeg20200201_104240.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

• Like 1

Another place to try jigging is right out in front of deans Cove and slightly to the the south side of the ramp. Don't have to go out very far and it drops off with fish usually hanging there.

Edited by Sk8man

Thanks all for the feedback! I'm thinking I'll give it another try sometime but will be depend on the weather and all. 

It's funny, while I was out there jigging and marking fish I was thinking to myself I wish I had some live bait.