FLA . KEYS 09

We made It here yesterday. I took the family out kayaking today, but no fishin yet. I'm not gonna put the boat In till Thursday, so I'll let ya know what we can wrestle Into the boat. The kids already have pet hermit crabs the caught on the beach today :lol: No hot babes on Long Key far as I can tell, but I shall continue my search and report back with my findings :yes:

Hey Everyone, Figured I'd let you know we are still alive and down here In the Keys. 7 days so far And I only got out fishing twice :( . Luckily we have 6 day left so I'm hoping to get In a lot this week. Our trip to Long Key was good, but the weather wasn't great except for the first day. We decided to do Key West and tourist things due to the winds and cold fronts.The flats were void of fish thanks to the cold fronts. After four days at Long Key State Park we moved to John Pennekamp Coral Reef State Park. I actually like It here a lot, except Florida bay was only 57 degrees the last time I was out and the fish had shut down (at least that's what I'm telling myself).....5 hrs fishing = 1 large stingray :o . This week looks promising, as they are calling for 80's all week. Windy for the next couple days, but then It's supposed to subside and we should be able to get a few days out on the reef. I put In my family time when the weather wasn't so good....now I can go fishing this week :yes:

So....no fish stink In the boat yet, but that's about to change ;) Hopefully I'll have a good fishing report In the next couple days. For now the only pics I got are of the family. Fish pics hopefully still to come.....

The better half and the kids In Key West

LongKey004.jpg

The kids on the flats In front of Long Key

LongKey016.jpg

Finally....the fish are biting :clap::clap::clap:

Spent an hour or two fishing on the Florida bay side of Key Largo yesterday and the water has really warmed up. We had a bite from the moment we arrived, albeit they were all small fish, but I was just happy to get Justin In some action.

Heading back out today to look for some size. We fished the mangrove creeks between the islands. Hoping the winds will allow us on the Ocean reef by tomorrow?

Justin's first Mangrove snapper of the trip. Stop laughing, I know It's small, but look at that smile!!

LongKey007.jpg

Check out the Iguana hanging out behind our RV In the Mangroves.....It's huge!!

LongKey001.jpg

Well guys, we head home tomorrow and I have come to the conclusion that I have GOT to come back down here to John Pennekamp In Key Largo on a manly fishing trip. The family thing Is awesome and I wouldn't trade It for anything but getting any serious fishing In Is tuff!!

The weather has been 80's and calm the past two days so my fishing days turned Into family snorkel days. We fished early and did really good, though nothing was huge. I'll post some fishing pics when I get home In a few days. The afternoons were so nice the family wanted to hit the reef and snorkel, which was a blast! If/ when you get down here....do It !! The reefs here are just gorgeous! I highly recommend John Pennekamp If your coming down with a boat. The fishing and snorkeling Is outstanding!! It's not a great place to fish without a boat though.

Here are a few shots of the reef fish from the boat. You really don't even have to go In the water to see them.

PENNEKAMP008.jpg

PENNEKAMP009-1.jpg

I threw In some chum to pull more fish If and It wasn't long before a shark and some cuda's showed up. We were all out of the water by then, so I was just having a lil fun. Don't know If you can make It out, but this pic Is of the shark.

PENNEKAMP027.jpg

Thanks guys. The fishing really picked up the toward the back end of the trip. We got In one last day and It was flat enough to get 6-7 miles out to the big reef and just beyond It. I forgot to put the rod holders on the boat before we left or we coulda fished for the big fellas out there .....way to go nimrod :$

We had huge king Mackerel all around us for about a half hour...tried everything I had but only produced one king strike on a ballyhoo and Justin caught a small one on a gulp shrimp (I have lots left If ya wanna try It Ray). We had a fun morning bottom fishing though....caught some really cool groupers. I'll post the pictures In the pic section. Anyone thinking about going down should definitely do It. I'm hoping to get a few of us together some day and have a "serious" fishing adventure In the Keys ;)

I'm way ready to get out there on the big pond now. April can't get here soon enough!